• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.69" roundballs in a 12 gauge.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim gray

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking for a mold to use to cast roundballs for 12 gauge and the closest size that I could find is .69". I ordered the mold. Does anyone here shoot .69 caliber RBs from a 12 gauge and what loads do you use?

I use them in my double barrel .12 ga. I use 90-95 grs Pyrodex RS, an over powder wad, 1/2 a lubed cushion wad then the ball in either a cut down Win. AA shotcup.(i cut it so that it comes a little over half way up the ball) or a thick denim patch. I use an over shot card wad on top of the ball to make sure it doesn't move in the second barrel when the first barrel is fired. At 25 yds i can get 4 shot groups, (2 shots from each barrel) that are one large hole. I use a Lee .690 mould to cast them.

Thanks, I just ordered the Lee mold, it seemed like a good buy compared to the others that I've seen. I hope I can get mine to group as well. I am curious as to whether the barrels will shoot to the same point of impact.

I know mine do at 25 yds. Have never had a chance to try it further yet, but intend to, unless i wind up buying the Fowler from Jack Garner. Then i will be working at getting good with the single barreled flinter.

Hmmmmm... :hmm:

I used to have good luck shooting .690" balls from a cartridge/modern 12 gauge, using a thick denim patch. But the most accuracy I ever got was with a patched .570" ball inside the plastic shot cup. I've since found that a .610" ball is a perfect fit inside the plastic shot cup, without a patch, but have not tried it yet. I bet that would produce some respectable velocity out of an 11 or 12 gauge bore with 110 grains of powder or so.

Double :hmm:

Anyhow, I don't see any problem...perhaps I should try a .69 ball in my Bess, with a denim patch, not that the .735" ball don't shoot great...just that I still don't have a mould for that size!!!

:curse:

Might be easier to get a mould that throws a nice round ball in .690" rather than .730". ??

Rat

I've since found that a .610" ball is a perfect fit inside the plastic shot cup, without a patch, but have not tried it yet.

Would that require an over-shot card as well?

Yes I believe it would require an over shot wad/card in a 12 gauge. As Bess is an 11 gauge, a paper-patched 12 gauge shot cup makes for a perfect fit, and if I ever get around to trying it I'll just fold the paper over the end with the ball, same as the base. Same as my shot-loads.

If it works good it could be pretty handy, just pour in the powder and ram the ball/cup "cartridge" down the bore. However for close in shooting I'll most likely stick with the full diameter ball instead of turning a .75 into a .61!
Having said that, if the .610" ball in the cup was VASTLY more accurate than a patched .735" ball, it would be something to consider.

When I shot the .58's in the new-fangled gun, of course I just crimped the shell over the ball.

Rat

If it works good it could be pretty handy, just pour in the powder and ram the ball/cup "cartridge" down the bore. However for close in shooting I'll most likely stick with the full diameter ball instead of turning a .75 into a .61!
Having said that, if the .610" ball in the cup was VASTLY more accurate than a patched .735" ball, it would be something to consider.

It would yield higher velocities with a smaller ball using the same charge as the normal size projectile...

I use an over shot card with my double barrel, just to make sure the second barrel ball doesn't move under recoil. The .690 rd. ball fits just right in a cut down Win.AA plastic wad. I cut the wad down so that it is just to the front edge of the ball so the overshot card fits tight against the ball. I get really good accuracy with my double .12 ga. using this tecnique.

Rat, get a Lee .690 mould. The .690 is what i use in my double barrel .12 caplock, and they fit in the plastic AA wads just right. Then you have a .69 cal instead of a .61.

I wouldn't have thought they (.690's) would fit in the cups...VELLY interesting. "WE" may be on to something here!

Just kidding...you been there done that obviously! Maybe I should get a .690 mould, I'm thinking it's going to work well with either a demim patch, or the cup-trick. At any rate reducing a Bess to .69 calibre is not as much as an insult, especially considering that was the ball size actually used in the Bess, back in the day.

Musketman, yes I realize there would be substantial velocity gains with a lighter, "saboted" ball in the larger bore, which to some extent would make up for the loss of weight, depending on which "camp" one belonged to, velocity or mass. Perhaps a good compromise between the two. Well this is beginning to look like something worth messing with.

Rat

Well this is beginning to look like something worth messing with.

I'm waiting for the gunshop to get the mold in. They said they could get me the Lee mold with handles for around $20. I may have to get a .570" diameter mold as well, but that's a different subject.

Flash, the Lee moulds come with handles. You can order them from Midsouth Shooters Supply for around $17 +s&h. Would maybe be worth it to pay the shipping if you were ordering more than one, or some other stuff with it.

Rat, i my .12 ga a .690 is a tight fit with denim from an old pair of jeans. Have to use a short starter to get it going, and then it is a tight fit all the way down. Might be about right in your Bloody Bess.

Flash, the Lee moulds come with handles. You can order them from Midsouth Shooters Supply for around $17 +s&h. Would maybe be worth it to pay the shipping if you were ordering more than one, or some other stuff with it.

I was just trying to point out that many of the higher priced molds that I have seen require that handles be purchased separartely, and in my opinion that makes the Lee an even better deal than it seems initially.

I was really in no hurry to get the mold, and I try to patronize the local business as much as possible. Especially since they got my .58 cal. Renegade from Fox Ridge for me for $100 less than it would have cost to get it from Fox Ridge Outfitters, and they still carry real BP.

Ohh NO, you and me with the same thought!!! :: Next thing ya know you'll be waterin' yet guns to see if they grow up into real BIG bores. :crackup:

Yeah....where's the best place to buy a Rubber Duck??

:crackup:

Only if it's rain, snow, sleet or hail shall water touch my guns!!

:nono:

Rat

Oh heck...Rebel seen a sasquatch with a matchlock and look what happens! :youcrazy:

Back