• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.72 Cal Kodiak Double Rifle Loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXnorton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend has just taken delivery of a new Pedersoli Kodiak Double Rifle in .72 caliber. The only load information we can find for this rifle is DGW's published load of 80 grains of FFg behind a .710" ball. All we can find on-line are .715 balls. So can anyone recommend loads for this rifle with a .715" ball and a .010" patch?

Good luck in finding a ready made round ball for the rifle. I too, have a .72 double rifle that I purchased from Cabela's and at the same time ordered the round balls they offered for the rifle. The balls are of poor quality. They are not even close to being round. So far I've not found any others to try. I would perfer not getting back into molding my own and would appreciate help in locating a source. :surrender:

Mr. TXnorton,
The Pedersoli website lists loads for the Safari Express .72cal as being: 90gr to 120gr max with PRB .715 +.010 patch.
We are using a PRB of .690 from a Lee mold. Have not tested for best accuracy load as yet. May also obtain one of the Lyman .715 molds and give it a go.
Best Wishes

i use a Rapine .715" mould with .015" patches. when i first got my .72 Kodiak i was having a hard time loading it. the muzzle crowns were so sharp they were cutting the .010" patches when loading. after i lapped and polished the muzzles there was no more patch cutting and .015" patches could be used. one key to easier loading is a proper sized short starter. trying to load this rifle with a run of the mill 3/8" short starter only invites problems. i made one on the lathe with a alluminum shaft of .650" diameter and a hard wood ball i got from the craft store as the biggest i could find ready made was 1/2". but a 1/2" one would be better than anything smaller. i replaced the rear sight on mine because i hated the original one which was possible because both barrels of my rifle hit within 2" vertical divergence at 50 yards. my rifle likes 130-140grs. 3Fg Goex which i ignite with musket caps. when i first got this rifle my father had bought up a bunch of Pyrodex RS & P from wally world on clearance. i usually only use real black anymore but tried the Pyrodex for range work. there were noticable hang fires with RS & P grade Pyrodex and #11 caps. P grade was better though. switching to musket caps gave very good results with P and better with RS. in fact chrony speeds were over 100fps faster when using musket caps with Pyrodex of either grade. my rifle performs best with real black. i also use a 12ga. wool wad over the powder. also i have a Lee .690" RB mould for wheel weight balls. using .018" pillow ticking or .020" patch they load easily and shoot to the same p.o.i. I have more wheel weight metal than i can shoot so this is more economical for me than pure lead which i save for hunting.

Thanks to all for the responses. I think my buddy will start out with some .690" balls and pillow ticking patches, and then work his way up to the .715" balls and .010" patches.

I am really looking forward to shooting his new rifle, it should be a real kick (literally).

Thanks again!

I posted this awhile back.

"After proofing my gun, I started from 70grs ffGOEX and shot groups to 110grs, than ran I out of ffGOEX. I switched to fffGOEX and I did a little more proofing. I settled on a load of 110grs fffGOEX. The load is safe in my gun but might not be in yours! I am shooting a .690RB, which is a little small for the gun. Reading other posts, I think it would shoot better with a .715.
I am using two patches, a .022 & .013; moose snot, to make up for the smaller diameter RB. The gun will shoot 1” to 2 ½”groups at 50yds, that is a two shot string of the left and right bbl”¦.they are regulated very well. I shot the load over a chronograph and it was averaging 1,126fps. I managed to hit a metal rod that holds up the sky screen with a patch and it bent it like a pretzel. I am VERY pleased with the accuracy. The .690RB’s weigh appx: 494grs PL. I believe that the .715’s RB PL would weigh around 550grs, but I'm not sure."

Keep me posted
Harpy

i use a Rapine .715" mould with .015" patches. when i first got my .72 Kodiak i was having a hard time loading it. the muzzle crowns were so sharp they were cutting the .010" patches when loading. after i lapped and polished the muzzles there was no more patch cutting and .015" patches could be used. one key to easier loading is a proper sized short starter. trying to load this rifle with a run of the mill 3/8" short starter only invites problems. i made one on the lathe with a alluminum shaft of .650" diameter and a hard wood ball i got from the craft store as the biggest i could find ready made was 1/2". but a 1/2" one would be better than anything smaller. i replaced the rear sight on mine because i hated the original one which was possible because both barrels of my rifle hit within 2" vertical divergence at 50 yards. my rifle likes 130-140grs. 3Fg Goex which i ignite with musket caps. when i first got this rifle my father had bought up a bunch of Pyrodex RS & P from wally world on clearance. i usually only use real black anymore but tried the Pyrodex for range work. there were noticable hang fires with RS & P grade Pyrodex and #11 caps. P grade was better though. switching to musket caps gave very good results with P and better with RS. in fact chrony speeds were over 100fps faster when using musket caps with Pyrodex of either grade. my rifle performs best with real black. i also use a 12ga. wool wad over the powder. also i have a Lee .690" RB mould for wheel weight balls. using .018" pillow ticking or .020" patch they load easily and shoot to the same p.o.i. I have more wheel weight metal than i can shoot so this is more economical for me than pure lead which i save for hunting.
Thanks for the info! I just ordered one with the interchangeable 10 ga barrels.

I was considering buying a .710 mold, but will probably try the .715 balls available from Track of the Wolf. And see how that goes.

Pedersoli has the rifle in stock and are in production of the 10 ga barrels for a waterfowl shot show coming up.

I decided to jump on the chance to get a factory matched set.

Back