• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

777 powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crmyers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Local Walmart had 777 reduced to nine dollars a can. I bought 4 and 4 tins of musket caps at three dollars a can. Now if I can find a good deal on 50 cal balls I'll be set for a while.

Wal-Mart marks down their "seasonal" sporting goods, at this time of year. You can get some bargains, sometimes. :thumbsup:

i work at wal-mart and just bought two boxes of hornady .50 balls at 3.00 fer a hunderd..................bob

bob1961,
i knew there was some reason i liked you.(wal-mart)
i work for sam's club here in reynoldsburg.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :applause: :thumbsup:

wow thats a better deal than my local walmart. they want 15 for the powder, 4 bucks for the caps, and no 50 call round ball. i was looking for the round ball. i didnt know if i could use the powder or the caps on my Kentucky rifle. but i did pick up a new unbreakable ram rod from made by Tc and a t ball starter for 7 bucks for both so i was happy.
i do have a question, what runs the musket caps?
also is the powder good for round ball and light target loads?

thanks Ronald

you have to have a nipple made for musket caps. as for the powder, I don't know. haven't tried it yet

folks:
theres a reason they have to give the stuff away! real bp guns were made to use bp... this is my third try with muzzleloading and i went with goex this time and can't believe the differance.
sure the othe stuff went bang most of the time but what a mess to clean. real black powder may look dirty but cleans up very easy and i've had no problem with rust this time.
do yourself a favor and get some real bp. :imo:

Triple Se7en will work great in your sidelocks and a #11 cap will set it off fine (at least in my rifles). The thing to remember is loose Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then black powder or Pyrodex RS FFg. So adjust you loads accordingly. Also Triple Se7en will burn real hot and in one of my rifles will smoke the patches unless I put a wonderwad between the powder and the ball. Then it is a great shooting rifle.

Triple Se7en is easy to clean. Simple water will take it out of the barrel, so your standard soap and water bath will clean the rifle just fine. If you have trouble loading the rifle a simple spit patch swab will clean the fowling out of the barrel for you.

Triple Se7en is easy to clean. Simple water will take it out of the barrel, so your standard soap and water bath will clean the rifle just fine. If you have trouble loading the rifle a simple spit patch swab will clean the fowling out of the barrel for you.

So what's the advantage of using it? Real black powder is easy to clean with plain old water also.

777 at my wal-mart is $25 a pound.
Old Charlie

$27.00 plus Sales Tax of 8.9% in my neck of the woods. I think I figured out once that the pellets were almost three times that for the same number of shots.

Of all the things 777 may be, cheap ain't one of 'em.

Russ

So what's the advantage of using it? Real black powder is easy to clean with plain old water also.

:imo: there is no advantage of using it unless you have a rifle that shoots better groups with it then with black powder. I have one .54 caliber sidelock that for some reason with Triple Se7en FFg, a wonderwad and a patched roundball will hold exceptional groups. I have never been able to match the groups with Goex FFg or FFFg. Otherwise all I normally shoot is Goex.

I personally do not mind the extra cleaning time black powder takes. I do keep Triple Se7en around to experiment with different rifles and projectiles...

Guess that's a good enough reason to use it then. I have never tried any of it, but have used Pyrodex in caplocks. Wasn't any easier to clean, but i could shoot all day with no wiping the barrel.

Back