• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

8/32 or 10/32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuck4570

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am about to buy some accessories to make my own rod.... I would like to know am I better to buy them in 8/32 or 10/32.... thank you....Canuck

As far as I can tell it is really personal preference. If you already have some accessories you may want to check and see what size thread they are and then match them.

I have both, and my ramrods are threaded for both on opposite ends. Haven't found an advantage with either one.

Mongrain Michel said:
I am about to buy some accessories to make my own rod.... I would like to know am I better to buy them in 8/32 or 10/32.... thank you....Canuck
Personally, I always specifiy 10/32" because they're bigger/stronger...just D&T your ramrod ends to 10/32"

I buy the 10/32, but I also have 8/32 tooling AND a tee handle that will fit either thread IN CASE I stick the rod while on the trail!
I'm covered either way.
I like the 10/32 just 'cause it has more metel to work with.
just my .04 worth!

My preference is also 10-32, but I had ramrods with both threads. I made up some adapters so I could switch back and forth but I would prefer to have everything 10-32, much simpler to just have one size accessory. I have since drilled and tapped all my ramrods to 10-32. I still carry 8-32 stuff in my shooting box so I can help someone that doesn't have the proper jag, ball puller, patch puller, etc. Don't ask why I would do such a thing......

Which ever size you plan to buy, you might want to be sure that all MALE components have steel threaded ends...alot stronger in my opinion! :thumbsup:

Hi,I like 10x32 for the bigger rods ie.muzzleloader size.Adaptors are available if your trying to save money.Regards,Mike

I use all 10/32. I have one brush I use for the breech on my rifles that is 8/32. I have an adapter for it to fit my cleaning rod.

HD

Whenever I build a rifle or should I say a ramrod, I start with the 8/32 and iffin the threads pull out I have enough to drill and tap for 10/32. I've never had 8/32 strip out yet!Just my 2 cents worth.
Trapper

I was at a show this weekend in Tutopolis Illinois All of the people from Indiana with the traditional built from parts rifles had 8-32nd the ones with the American factory guns (TC) had the 10-32nds but they do have adapters. I did find a cool 25 cal and up bore light from flintlocks inc. Now I can get a good look at the 32 cal bore and the plains pistols bore.

I have 10-32 on my .50 and 8-32 on my .54

Go figure.

I don't find a difference. If you break an 8-32 you're probably doing something wrong, but the 10-32 is stronger.

I wish I had one or the other. 10-32 is probably easier to find attachments for locally, but if you buy from T.O.T.W. or other large mail-order outfits it won't matter.

Long ago I bought adapters for both ways male/female AND 5/16-27 male (shotgun) to 10-32 female so I can swap all over the place. Got tired of not having what I needed when I needed it.

I have a couple of wonder rods that have an 8/32nd on one end and a 10/32nd on the other. If I were to choose one thread, I would take the 10/32nd. The threaded male of the 10/32nd is fatter, meaning there is less chance of busting the accessory off the end off your rod when you are doing something difficult, like ball removal. I saw a gunsmith once have to de-breech a gun because the brass ball puller with the steel pulling screw busted off and both the ball and puller were now stuck down in the breech.
I would also avoid brass threaded ends if I could as steel is less likely to twist and break. if you have a ball puller or patch work with a 10/32nd steel threaded end, it will last you a lifetime.
Ohio Rusty

hi-ho canuck,

i am envious, it's been well over half a century since i worried about which thread to get.. you just wait,, in a few years, you'll be just like the rest of us and have boxes of brushs, tips fittings etc. and wonder where the heck it all came from.. :hmm:

good luck and ..ttfn..grampa..

Back