• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

8 pointer & younger brother at the back door

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
8 pointer's rack is getting pretty...

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

If he can survive this coming deer season and the highways, he might really be something next year...but he's pretty enough that if shows himself to a hunter he'll get tagged I'm sure

Nice pics, Roundball. I see the corn, but what kind of ornamental shrubs do you use to bring them to the back door? :rotf: That's nice to have the wildlife that close. My daughter keeps seeing a fawn in the woods behind the house, usually about 10 yds. away from a tree she likes to climb. Yup, she's a treestand hunter (with me beside her) at 12 yrs. old. This is the first year in Michigan she can use a rifle.....and the youth hunt starts in just over a month, can't wait :thumbsup:

Kentuckywindage said:
feed them little guys something that will fatten them up! Skinny little runts :haha:
It really is odd that of the 12-15 deer that sort of revolve through the back yard day in & day out how many there are that stay so thin.

The east coast states, particularly the southern states like this one have very long growing seasons with dense lush vegetation everywhere and deer should be pigged out by now as they've had food everywhere since March.

Maybe its nature's way of letting them deal with the heat and humidity here and they don't really start bulking up until about now on through September/October...but they're not thin for lack of food being available

Any idea as to the weight of those two? Nice pics and you're fortunate to have these "visitors"....Fred

flehto said:
Any idea as to the weight of those two? Nice pics and you're fortunate to have these "visitors"....Fred
They're both pretty small...I'd guess the small buck might be 110, the larger one maybe 125, give or take a few

roundball said:
Kentuckywindage said:
feed them little guys something that will fatten them up! Skinny little runts :haha:
It really is odd that of the 12-15 deer that sort of revolve through the back yard day in & day out how many there are that stay so thin.

The east coast states, particularly the southern states like this one have very long growing seasons with dense lush vegetation everywhere and deer should be pigged out by now as they've had food everywhere since March.

Maybe its nature's way of letting them deal with the heat and humidity here and they don't really start bulking up until about now on through September/October...but they're not thin for lack of food being available

I can't imagine your winters are too rough compared to more Northern climates, so maybe, they don't need to bulk up as much to get through the lean times.

wirehairman said:
roundball said:
Kentuckywindage said:

I can't imagine your winters are too rough compared to more Northern climates, so maybe, they don't need to bulk up as much to get through the lean times.

I have to agree that has alot to do with it.
Roundball,
Are 200lb deer(Dressed weight) common in NC?
BTW.....Nice picture! :thumbsup:

Halftail said:
Are 200lb deer(Dressed weight) common in NC?
Oh no...the deer you have in Canada are a totally different strain.
I'd guess the live weight of those two in that photo would be 110 lbs for the small one, and maybe 125 for the 8 pointer, give or take a few lbs.

Now, I will say the 8 pointer in the photo does seem to have a disproportionally smaller than normal body for that headgear...normally a decent little rack like that is found on a 2.5-3.5 year old that would be in the 150-160 lb live weight range.

A buck in the 175-200 lb live weight range is a big deer here...we have a huge sized deer herd with liberal bag limits which is a good thing for deer hunters, but they are not giants like the strain of big whitetails found in the US northern border states and in Canada.

they start packing some lbs on when the wild fruit, berry and acorns become mast. and the grass/clover goes to seed which is protein rich. I've seen areas where wild grapes have fallen that were cleaned out overnight. and acorns near as much. they don't have anthing to do but eat.

Back