• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A beagle, a bunny, and a bp shotgun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
394920346.jpg

I haven't made the journey for snowshoe hares yet, but thought I would spend a couple hours trying some gear out, snowshoes and all. Yesterday the beagle got to run like a fool, which seems to please her immensely. We did take this one rabbit just to see how everything would come together. I have a video if we can ever get it uploaded, I'm not real technical folks. I do really like this New Englander, a pure joy to carry. I used 70gr ffg, and #6's. I still have more work to do on load development, all I need is time. This pic was taken about 1/2 mi from my house. We have about 12" to two feet of snow coming in the next couple days, it couldn't be any prettier out. I'll keep you updated when we venture out again. The only thing I can count on, is every other weekend off, so... we're trying.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Way to go,nicejob,great pic.Keep us posted on your next outing.Nice looking beagel.Griz

Fine shotgun and rabbit, but man. That beagle!

Makes my heart go pittypat every time I see a good working beagle. We raised and trained them for 20 years but stopped 15 years ago. And I still miss the little cusses!

Well done, and keep us posted on results. And be darned sure to post more beagle pics! :grin:

Nice Job! Congrats on the hunt! Great pic!

As far as loads go, remember that lubed felt wads are your friend in the field! Makes reloading without a Work Rod easy!

Good luck with the snow and keep posting!

Dave

Way to go Silly Goose! :thumbsup:

Looks like you are certainly on your way.

That IS a BEAUTIFUL beagle...reminds me of a female I had years ago (she was my "dog of a lifetime" and is missed indeed). Enjoy her and remember to get her into the field every chance you have. Beagles live to chase bunnies.

Keep us posted here and let us know if we can help in any way (load development, etc)! :thumbsup:

Skychief.

I am jealous! That sure looks like a whole bunch of fun. I have said for a long time, that ml'ing shotguns are Blackpowders best kept secret.

That will make a fine pot of dumplings. I like how your beagle made sure the camera gots its good side. :grin:

Great gun...great Beagle and a bunnie fer the pot ! It just dont git any better than that!
I have 3 beagles I hunt....Sparky, Gabby & Babe... Babe is about to retire ...she is 14 years young!
Keep us posted !

Thanks so much for the kind words. This beagle has made me feel like a kid again. Last year I sold all my trapping gear, there is only so much time in a day, and I gave my wife the $250 about a week prior to Christmas. She surprised me with this beagle. I've had dogs all my life, but she is my first beagle. "Sadie" is now about 18 months old, and easily my favorite dog ever. She is my only experience with hounds, and I am having a great time watching her learn. I don't have anything to compare her to, but I watch her, and have had the opportunity to see her work cover, and watch rabbits in front of her, and eventually she figures things out. I think she gets better every time we go. I am sure that compared to a "good" beagle, she probably isnt that good, but she is more than I ever could have hoped for. I am happy to see her work, and hear her sing, is there anything better? She will enter anything that may hide a bunny, I don't know how she does it, but she gets into the prickers and everything, a joy to watch. And to think she is only doing what she is bred for. I've never seen an animal of any type work harder, or enjoy it more. Now on the flip side, and I hope you guys don't lose respect for us with this, Usually by about 8pm, she and I will be snuggled on the couch wrapped up in a quilt, she is very warm and usually puts me right to sleep. This was a deal I made with her when I got her. She runs rabbits, and she can share the couch, thats the deal. :) Poor girl gets her ears tore up and everything. You can probably tell I'm quite fond of her, and she is the perfect compliment to a bp shotgun. I could care less how many rabbits we harvest. I'm happy to have lungs full of fresh air, a piece of rabitat to get lost in, the sights and sounds of the outdoors, and of course the sound of Sadie. But for the record, I am quite fond of making smoke with bp. :) You guys are a classy bunch of guys. Thank you. I will get more pics, and hopefully have more adventures. Today is a snowday, waiting for round three of the recent storms.

You know selling your trapping gear won't stop the hanker. Its like a truck driver trying to stop trucking, most can't do it. :grin: Good luck though, I'm happy for you. :applause:

Back