• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A bit of a pickle...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So after a successful day of shooting my TVM Early VA, I've come home, and while cleaning, it, managed to break the ramrod with wire brush/cleaning patch in the barrel, leaving the broken end of the rod about 3" inside the barrel, beyond my reach.

Any ideas on how to get it out?

If its not all the way down,I'd put some powder 15-20 grains of 3f in the flash hole and then seat the rod on top and fire it out, I'd also make sure its seated on top of the powder.
Nit Wit

Got a brush stuck it my .40 fast twist once upon a time. Got it out by chamfering the inside end of a brass tube and pushing the tube over the brush. Then the brush was inside the tube.

don't matter if'n it did hit the breech. get some 4f or null-b well into the touch hole, trickle some in the pan, point in a safe direction and fire. if the rod don't blow out, force as much 4f as you can into the breech, ram the ramrod home on top of the charge, trickle the pan, aim safely and fire out the rod. done deal.

Shooting it out requires that you do it in a safe location and make sure you know where the rod will go so you don't hit anything that you don't intend to. Good Cheer's idea of using a piece of tubing to remove the broken rod is safer but requires you to find a piece of tubing of the right size. Two good ideas each with its own shortcomings. Take your choice.

i was always leery of the shoot'em out process 'til i dry balled one day at the range. dealing with a screw worm got real frustrating and a good samaritan took pity on my sorry butt and showed me just how easy pan flashing will pop out the ball in one or two tries. i chucked that ball worm into the trash.

as mentioned, the only concern is where ya point the muzzle before pulling the trigger(s) ... but heck, that's pretty much a no-brainer for us all, right? :haha:

All right everyone, a couple grains of FFFFg in the touchhole, a small fizz sound, and the rod came out about two inches, enough for me to grab it. Thank you for the help.

Brushes are good for firearms with barrels that are open at both ends.

Brushes are poor (and unnecessary) in muzzleloading guns who's barrels are plugged at one end.

Good Job..I prefer to shoot boxes with mine! :grin:

IMG_24271.jpg

I just use a slightly undersized brush covered in a cotton patch. It holds on to the patch better than the other options.

I use bore brush they work great never an issue but i use a medal rod wood would break if your not using one size smaller brush
Bore brushs and mops make quick cleaning and finish with cleaning patchs then use an oil soak mop swab the bore

Actually all one has to do is twist the brush to the right before trying to pull it out. It turns the bristles at 90 degrees instead of 180 so they can bend around the other direction.It does require the jag tip to be pinned though usually. MD

+1 jag and patch or worm and tow , I too learnt my lesson a long time ago with my first m/l .

Back