• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A blast from the past

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My daughter just showed me how to post pics, so I'm practicing. Here is a pic of a doe antelope taken in 1981, in eastern Wyoming. The gun was my old CVA Big Bore Mtn. Rifle, .54 cal. The load was 100gr. FFg, .535 RB, and .010 patch. Lube was young country arms #103.

The shot was taken at 165 yds. One shot flipped her upside down.

940641-R1-01-1_002.jpg

Excuse the quality of the pic, its about 27 yrs. old. I was a hellava lot younger then. :grin:

maddog2

Great pic but wait a minute Toby Bridges says that is impossible how can it be that a round ball could kill at that distance? lol Good job, GREAT SHOT.

Billy

Billy Lo said:
"...wait a minute...Toby Bridges says that is impossible... how can it be that a round ball could kill at that distance?..."
:rotf: he does for sure... :thumbsup:

Frankly, probably a lot of people have been conditioned not to believe in PRBs past 100yds and don't routinely practice it based on their hunting conditions...myself included.

But a medium to large bore heavy ball and max/near-max powder charges instead of lightweight target charges should get the job done like on this Antelope if you put it into the boiler room...the real limitation would be shooting skill and knowing where the ball is at distance.

I guess out in those wide open spaces 100yd zero would be the minimum...I zero at 50yds cause I can't see through the woods much more than 60-75 yards.

And belated Congratulations on the Antelope !!
:thumbsup:

maddog2 said:
My daughter just showed me how to post pics, so I'm practicing. Here is a pic of a doe antelope taken in 1981, in eastern Wyoming. The gun was my old CVA Big Bore Mtn. Rifle, .54 cal. The load was 100gr. FFg, .535 RB, and .010 patch. Lube was young country arms #103.
:hmm: Yea, accordin to toni :barf: that load is only effective ta about 60 yards. I quess ya must of had a good tail wind. :thumbsup: :rotf: Happy New Year!! :grin:
antalope.jpg

Sniper, don't know about a tail wind, but a "calm" day in WY. is 30 mph. Had to aim at her Butt to git a heart shot :grin:

maddog2

maddog2 said:

940641-R1-01-1_002.jpg

Excuse the quality of the pic, its about 27 yrs. old. I was a hellava lot younger then. :grin:

maddog2

Nice picture!
Where's all the trees at? :wink: Did you realize that it's snowing there tonight?

Back