• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A bud dug this up awhile ago

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I'm a member of the NRA, life....been so now for 30 years or so. I keep forgetting that I'm new here and you guys may not know me yet.

Here's the short of it:

I'm also life members of the North American Hunting Club....Whitetails unlimited.......NWTF......Pheasants forever......Monster Bucks......one or two more black powder clubs that I can't think of their names right now not to mention I'm a certified rifle and muzzleloading instructor for the Michigan chapter of the 4-H & NRA. Will be getting my archery cert next month.

I run/help out with almost weekly range sessions with the kids, (have a archery session tomorrow and a shotgun on Sunday) I'm kinda sorta the undisputed head honcho/leader for the muzzleloading shooting sports for Midland County MI..... I own almost all the muzzle loaders for the kids (yes all three types, but mainly percussions)....(a buddy has three other percussions to round out the arsenal)(county owns three "off the shelf" that the kids rarely want to use)....I keep acquiring more whenever money or opportunity knocks. I have the only 400yd rifle range in the county that I'm aware of with 600yd capabilities if you wish to shoot from the township cemetery access road. :nono: cemetary view backstop Cease fires for deer or turkey arent all that uncommon.
The pasture

I'm a firm believer in kids with guns: Hanna's first deer Hanna with doe
You just never know what they may bring home.

I love to build guns or re-build whatever I can find cheep in a yard sale. I have two customs from scratch rifles on the bench right now with three others needing serious face lifts in various stages of carvings or inlays. (note to all, I'm very new to carving) Leman full stock and Kentucky half stock The Leman in the back just got a flint double throat from L&R....and the Kentucky half stocker ain't what she used to be. That's my test project for carving.

I'm a custom muzzleloading bullet maker with a valid FFL for ammunition manufacturing. (Swager) From conicals to saboted.....all I'm going to say on that subject here. one of 4 presses Was born and raised in a cabin and worked a farm since my feet reached the pedals. Still dabble as a carpenter now and again. lill handywork lill more

Kinda been there, done that, sorta feller. I ain't good at any one thing in particular....but I dabble in most anything once or twice. :winking: But, I'm new to lots of things and still have to ask alot of questions, I'm pretty much self taught with no-one to fall onto for answers near where I live.

Just haven't done the NMRA since I figured I had enough credentials and cash out already.

I figure if that ain't good enough I'll simply go somewhere elseto play. :( :grin: :blah:

What does all this rambling mean? I don't get enough time to do this: me and muzzie doe

Slake said:
these groups keep our rights safe./quote]
This forum is also a voice of the
Traditional Way and it is free. :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Yes it is Snake eyes.....and thats one of the things I like about it.

I built my first mountain rifle back in 1979 from a kit fresh outta high school....built three more similar rifles that way. Then switched to scratch rifles. Never cared much about the actuall differences between rifles back then....as long as they looked good to me was good enough. Now Im kinda gettin into more of the actuall makers and locality of certain styles. And I find it very intresting.

Took nearly a 18 year break from it all when I got married. Now its just my daughter and myself with the chance finally to do some of the things I love with her.

I will shoot all kinds of muzzleloaders but have a sweet spot for the mountain or plains rifle. Lately a few others here have me looking into the underhammers for a bit of nostalga reasons plus they are quite simple so the kids will be able to keep them up without me having to hound em so much.

I recently picked up a real cheapie half stock "kentucky poor boy"??? (for lack of a better description here) with no under rib that is of all things Italian made. Found who the actuall maker was but he is long gone now. (lower gun in pic from earlier post) So I decided to go to work on it....next thing I know I have the chisles out and, well, I'm not sure where it'll end. But I'll post the end results. From what I can tell the gun now is a combination Bedford/kentuckian/tennesee poorboy. LOL...but the wood is absoulutly beautifull and it shoots fine. Kinda gave it to my 11 yr old daughter as her first "trad" gun. If it were up to her the gun would be complealy covered in inlays, I had to call it enough last week when she asked me to take a open center german silver star and inlay a smaller brass star into it.

But, it did give me a idea for a fancier/more fitting rifle later on. :grin:

Gotta go and open up the archery range...bye.

Hey Hunter280man. I think I found what your looking for. R.W. Ballou also wrote an article in Man at Arms, Feb 2005, page 14. In it a rifle with the same configuration is pictured being held by John Alexander, exibits technician at the American Precision Museum, Windsor, Vt. He is holding a Hilliard rifle #2276. You might want to send them your photo to see if it is the right measurments.
394042.JPG

If you interested in the past issue, Man at Arms has that copy for $5.95. Here is the link for back issues.
Man At Arms Mag. back issues.

I hope this helps buddy! :hatsoff:

You know GMWW, I have only two reservations on David Hilliard being the actuall smith I'm looking for.

One is marginal, the trigger issue.

The second is most of his sidelockers were backlocks.

At least the few that I can find pictures on. Last night and this morning I was certain I found the maker......tonight I'm starting to doubt it again leaning towards a Ohio/plains gun or a low-end leman. Problem with the leman is the trigger doesn't fit that one either. But I'm not real familiar with all the lemans....and mine is just a copy of a picture I seen 25 years ago. :(

Wish I had the barrel or lock. Without one or the other I'm really doubting I'll ever find the manufacurer.

Actually, when I said I found what you were looking for, I was referring to the article. :grin:

I saw on the other forum that you were talking about the article in Muzzle Blast. I recalled that I had an article sent to me by FW by that author. I posted the photo the other poster may have been referring too. However, that museum may be able to assist you if you send them your picture. They may even have an email address.

I still new at this and couldn't tell you a Plains rifle from a Hawkens with a strait face. :hmm:

Good luck! :hatsoff:

"I still new at this and couldn't tell you a Plains rifle from a Hawkens with a strait face."

Well, a Plains rifle is very plain.
A Hawkens with a strait face is one that is owned by a very serious man.
A Hawkens with a happy face is one that is owned by someone who is glad he owns it.
:rotf: :grin: :rotf:
Sorry. I couldn't resist pulling your leg a little. :)
Zonie

:rotf: Good thing I didn't mention the shape of its butt stock. :shocked2:

Bad Zonie....bad, bad man. :grin: :grin:

Well Glen Im a half step ahead of ya bud. But its not a full half.

Got chur pm bud....back at ya already.

Yes I seen the post on both forums....thankyou. While searching yesterday.....ok this morning @ 2 am again. I found a Kentucky/Pensylvania gun maker outa Jamestouwn North Carolina by the name of Isaac Jones.

And guess what, they are dead ringers from the front side! I couldn't find any pics of the inlays of the back side, but the lock, trigger, and patch box's are identical cept for the guns in the pictur's whore brass. Couple of em were even walnut stocked.

Said he was in buisness during the roaring 1820's. I know, its a loooooong stretch for sure. I'll keep looking I spose.

Remember that prodject rifle I'm working on? Well the barrel is starting to turn colors and the stock is in the final stages. PURDY! (jus another word like samich) :thumbsup: Was up to 5 am this morning staining and putting the first coat of linseed to her.

Yes I will, should be finished by the weekend if things keep going well. Just put another coat of linspeed on the old gal a few minutes ago.

I dont simply put the oils to the wood the way they suggest on the label. I'll work the stock with my hands for a half hour or so per coat before letting it sit. I find the coat actually dries much faster and keeps the satin look without turning glossy or glazing over like a factory finish will. Plus I'll still 0000 wool it between coats as well.

More work but to me its worth it. :hatsoff:

Back