• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been careful about ticks, but will be even more so as I had Lyme's and just completed treatment that I hope has cured me of it. If you're not taking precautions you should, and if you are still be careful. I never saw a tick attached and often the bite doesn't leave any marks or the red rings that warn of a possible infection.

Went to the woods yesterday afternoon. I'm not too far from Jim K and the temp was near 80 and the woods was very green and hard to see through the leaves of the canopy and on the ground. Missed a couple, one of them threw a sapling to block the shot. But good to walk and sit -as that's the tactic I think works well.
Nice outfit Boomstick! Where are you located?

I went out to my honey hole again today with the Crockett. I went in to the hickories and sat til 8. It was dead in there which is hard to believe. They must have the hickories cleaned out. I was amazed.

I went west heading to the thick stuff I did well in the other day. Saw two on the ground. Sat there for awhile. Got two with two shots. I was pretty happy. Swabbed my barrel, reloaded and headed up into the thick stuff. Sat where I had a lot of action Thursday. Got two more with two shots. I can’t believe I’m 4-4. I’m REALLY good at missing squirrel with a muzzleloader.

I moved higher up the ridge and spotted one on the ground. Sat there for awhile. Got another one. 5-5 now. I’m stoked now.

Headed back to the truck and cleaned the squirrels. While cleaning my rifle my ramrod broke. I thought I heard a crack when I had reloaded before. I’m 50 miles from home with no ramrod.

Drove home. Cleaned my rifle and a little later went up in the woods by my place. I was heading for a spot and saw two on a tree. I eased down on the ground and rested on a downed log. Missed!! I really wanted to go 6-6 which is our limit.

Continued on to where I intended to sit. I saw 5 or 6. I had 4 young ones climbing around in a tree behind me. Why are they always behind me?!?

Got turned around and finally got a shot off. Got him.

Ol Jim has never claimed to be a great shot. But today was my best day of shooting ever.

After screwing up my original front sight on my Crockett by trying to install a section of fiber optic on it. A good friend sent me another sight and I managed to get it on that one. Man did that help. I could really see it in the woods.

Here are the obligatory pictures. The picture with the five has three squirrels plus two tails. I forgot to take a picture and remembered after I had two cleaned.🤷‍♂️
IMG_3921.jpeg
IMG_3923.jpeg

I went out to my honey hole again today with the Crockett. I went in to the hickories and sat til 8. It was dead in there which is hard to believe. They must have the hickories cleaned out. I was amazed.

I went west heading to the thick stuff I did well in the other day. Saw two on the ground. Sat there for awhile. Got two with two shots. I was pretty happy. Swabbed my barrel, reloaded and headed up into the thick stuff. Sat where I had a lot of action Thursday. Got two more with two shots. I can’t believe I’m 4-4. I’m REALLY good at missing squirrel with a muzzleloader.

I moved higher up the ridge and spotted one on the ground. Sat there for awhile. Got another one. 5-5 now. I’m stoked now.

Headed back to the truck and cleaned the squirrels. While cleaning my rifle my ramrod broke. I thought I heard a crack when I had reloaded before. I’m 50 miles from home with no ramrod.

Drove home. Cleaned my rifle and a little later went up in the woods by my place. I was heading for a spot and saw two on a tree. I eased down on the ground and rested on a downed log. Missed!! I really wanted to go 6-6 which is our limit.

Continued on to where I intended to sit. I saw 5 or 6. I had 4 young ones climbing around in a tree behind me. Why are they always behind me?!?

Ol Jim has never claimed to be a great shot. But today was my best day of shooting ever.

After screwing up my original front sight on my Crockett by trying to install a section of fiber optic on it. A good friend sent me another sight and I managed to get it on that one. Man did that help. I could really see it in the woods.

Here are the obligatory pictures. The picture with the five has three squirrels plus two tails. I forgot to take a picture and remembered after I had two cleaned.🤷‍♂️View attachment 353354View attachment 353355
Congratulations Jim. That a fine mess of squirrels. Glad you were able to get out and get em. We miss them and also get them. Hunts like this make all worth while. Just being in the woods away from it all still works for me when it one of those miss days.

Again Congratulations.

That's interesting. Now this is only my personal belief as I have not found anything to confirm it, but its to my belief that they very well might interbreed. I killed one very large gray squirrel last year that was noticeably bigger than any gray squirrel I have ever killed. It had a lot of fox squirrel color on it. I have seen a couple of fox squirrels less than 1/2 mile away from there.
Ed I looked it up on the net. Yes they do interbreed, where they territories overlap.
You were correct in your beliefs.

I've always been careful about ticks, but will be even more so as I had Lyme's and just completed treatment that I hope has cured me of it. If you're not taking precautions you should, and if you are still be careful. I never saw a tick attached and often the bite doesn't leave any marks or the red rings that warn of a possible infection.

Went to the woods yesterday afternoon. I'm not too far from Jim K and the temp was near 80 and the woods was very green and hard to see through the leaves of the canopy and on the ground. Missed a couple, one of them threw a sapling to block the shot. But good to walk and sit -as that's the tactic I think works well.
I like that tactic also.
Nice to just get out and be one with the woods.

Real nice set up.

Congratulations Jim. That a fine mess of squirrels. Glad you were able to get out and get em. We miss them and also get them. Hunts like this make all worth while. Just being in the woods away from it all still works for me when it one of those miss days.

Again Congratulations.
Thank you Fred! Your knife was in on the action😁

Lots of good things to living and hunting in the north. I miss it a lot. Every region has its strong points for sure.
I too miss it Ed. It's been decades since I hunted my home state of Illinois.
I know if Iwas to move back there it wouldn't be long I'd be missing my rivers, swamps, sloughs and hammocks. I've gotten used to it.
The memories are there.

Here are the obligatory pictures. The picture with the five has three squirrels plus two tails. I forgot to take a picture and remembered after I had two cleaned.🤷‍♂️View attachment 353354View attachment 353355
Excellent shooting! I'm still trying to get two in one day.

Latest posts

Back