• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a couple of rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Going to try to figure out how to post some pics: first one is the first custom rifle I made (1978) and second one is a custom early southern rifle by Don Bruton of SC which I use in my 18th century reenacting.

Rifle_13.jpg

Rifle_17.jpg

Mike,
VERY NICE!!!!!!!! Thanks for
sharing :applause: :applause: :applause: :master:
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

a little more about the rifles: the first one I made in 1978 using a really nice piece of maple (lucked out on that one) that cost me $100 then (alot then), a Green River .45 42" barrel (another $100 if I recall), Cochran lock and triggers, brass ordered probably from Log Cabin. I think I had about $300+/- in the parts! Then 160+ hours of labor. The rifle is very accurate with loads ranging from 50 grs fffg (target)to 65 grs fffg (hunting). The second rifle I ordered fom Don Bruton of South Carolina, locally known for his early southern rifles, and he got a prize for one at Dixon's one year. It has a relatively plain maple stock with Chambers Col VA lock, 44" Colerain swamped .50 barrel and minimum brass hardware. It is supposed to be a "typical" woodsrunner/longhunter rifle of the 1760s-1770s. Maybe something like Boone would have carried (in Bruton's mind's eye). It shoots good with about 70 grs fffg. :front:

Nice rifles. You are correct. $100 for a maple blank was quite a sum in 1978.

I kept a log on a rifle one time to figure the hours and my hours were 150 for a mountain rifle so we are close.

Its rifles like those that make my wife a little more interested in letting me get more. Very nice work Sir. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back