• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A few pouches I've made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric/WV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm fairly new at making pouches, so I wanted to get some critiques. A couple of them have some PA/Dutch folk art on the flaps. I slightly "aged" the leather also.

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

LHunter,

I made these bags out of some horse hides that I bought at Friendship last month. It's really nice stuff to work with.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Here's a pouch I made out of a deer hide. It has a beaver tail flap..lined with ticking..and it also has some folk art on the flap.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Both of these pouches were made with the same leather...however the one pouch was "aged".

DSCF0005.jpg

Great work!

I'm sure likin that folk art. Howdja do it?

And while we're on howdja doit, I'm liking that aging you did, too. Any secrets?

I've got a side of premium brown chap leather that's so perfect it looks like cheap plastic. Sure could use a treatment like yours, because it's dandy to work with.

Terrible, awful and disgusting comes to mind, Oh wait a minute that's what I was thinking about my poor ole dog that needs a bath! :rotf: :rotf:
In reality I like them! :thumbsup: I like how you done the flap, allowing the ticking to fray out like that. :hatsoff:

Those are some really good looking pouches. :hatsoff: I like how you antiqued them, alot!

Brownbear,

As for the folk art...I drew up some patterns on poster board. Using an awl, I punched a series of holes along my pencil drawing....I then laid the pattern on the leather and I used a pencil to mark the holes onto the leather. I then punched holes in the leather at the pencil marks. I then stitched the designs onto the leather using the same linen thread I used on the pouches.

As for the "aging" technique....I learned it from T.C. Albert's book "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch". All you have to do is spray some "Easy Off" oven cleaner on the finished pouch. In essence, the lye removes some of the oils from the leather. Let it work for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse off. After I rinse, I ring the water out of the leather with my hands, and this removes some of the factory dye. This does 2 things...it gives a "mottled" look to the leather, and it gives a "used" look to the cloth lining of the bag.

From there, I use my own technique of "quick drying" the pouch in front of a 220 watt space heater.

thanks

Eric

Back