• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Horse is a Horse, of course, of course.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU

...And what I have in my hands today is my new Horse Pistol, a NIB, unfired Uberti Second Dragoon purchased from one of our generous forum members here.
Good Grief...this thing is a monster!
***sh!t-eatin' grin from ear-to-ear!*** :grin:
Yes, there will be pix to follow. Now, excuse me...I need to go and play.... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be interested in a little history about your gun.

About 2,700 total were made, the fewest of any of the Dragoon series. They were built in 1850-1851.

Case hardened frame, hammer and loading lever with all other steel parts blued.
Brass grip backstrap and square backed trigger guard silver plated for civilian sales and left bare for military sales.

Rectangular cylinder stops, a mainspring roller and either vertical or horizontal loading lever release.

Have fun. :)

Thanks for the tutorial, Zonie!
I knew about the production numbers and "innards" stuff...the square notches, roller on the hammer with flat spring (which if I'm not mistaken, came later in the 2nd Dragoon run; the first batch had no roller and the V-type spring of the 1st Dragoon, Whitneyville and Walker), but did not know about the silver-versus-plated brass. Guess that would make mine a military version, then!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Dragoon_Revolver
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1848_2nd_model_dragoon_lg.jpg

I love the look of the square-back trigger guard!
I just returned from my man-cave in the basement, where I completely disassembled, cleaned, oiled, greased, and polished all the brass on this thing and polished the hammer and trigger sear and bearing surfaces. Action like butter! Whew...this thing weighs a TON compared to my baby Navy!
But I LIKE it! Pix tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I promised pix...
Bottom view of polished brass
Dragoon1.jpg

Backstrap
Dragoon2.jpg

Top view
Dragoon3.jpg

Side View 1
Dragoon4.jpg

Side View 2
Dragoon5.jpg

It was really fun taking it all apart and going thru it. It's something I've learned to do with all my BP pistols, and just 'cause it was new was no excuse not to. There was silver anti-seize all over the arbor and a bunch of crud (?) around the nipples. I pulled each nipple, cleaned them inside & out along with the threads, and the recesses they go into on the cylinder. I removed the anti-seize and used my favorite white lithium grease instead. There are some differences between the Dragoons and my Army/Navy pistols, but you can definitely see the hand of Sam Colt and Eli Whitney at work in the design similarities!
The action was good before I took it apart. It's better now. :grin:
I didn't spend a whole lot of time polishing the hammer and trigger/sear assemblies, as it was 1:00 am and I didn't want to be up ALL night! :surrender:
I figure I can always go at it again later. But for now, a great way to spend a Friday night!

I'm a little disappointed in the photos. Hard to get decent pix using a flash. Maybe I can get some more in the daylight tomorrow? :idunno:

Very nice :thumbsup: But I will never hear the end of it tomorrow. :yakyak:

Enjoy that new Horse Pistol :thumbsup: .

Now you gotta ask yourself a question: Do you learn where it hits and simply adjust from there (the way I do with all of mine) or do you start screwing-around with a new, taller front sight so that you can shoot to point of aim??

I like to shoot 'em out-of-the-box, so I memorize where they hit and "measure" in my head prior to taking the shot. My Walker is exactly 6.5" high at 25 yards, so I aim 6.5" lower than where I want to hit, and I hit where I want to!

You'll have less muzzle rise with a 40 grain charge than stuffing 45 grains under the wonder-wad. You'll also notice that in order to maintain accuracy, you need to hold it the same way with the same amount of force in your grip so that the rounds impact the target uniformly.

If you need any more help, just ask. I fly coach, and for you picking up a mere plane ticket :shocked2: , I would gladly teach you how to use it the right way :grin: :shocked2: :) :haha:

Dave

smokin .50 said:
If you need any more help, just ask. I fly coach, and for you picking up a mere plane ticket :shocked2: , I would gladly teach you how to use it the right way :grin: :shocked2: :) :haha:

Dave

So, how do you do in extended confinement in a pet carrier? :rotf:

Seriously, I have no intention in bungling up the front sight. I'll figure out where she places and compensate.
Shore is a hefty hunk o' slag, though.... :thumbsup:

I have every intention!**wink, wink** :wink:

Aaron, I see you're from WV...that's where this horse pistol just rode in from!

A Pet Carrier? :rotf: Maybe for a Gorilla :haha: :idunno: but a free trip is a free trip I guess! :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back