• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A hunt back in the late 70's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzloder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife's step-dad was transported via ambulance to the hospital again this morning, fourth time since the first of the year. While waiting in his room with my mother-in-law my mind began to wander back to happier times and hunts with him. He married my MIL in '96 after her first husband passed away suddenly in '89.

He & I hunted together for a number of years, and he finally killed a deer in 2000. I can still see the smile on his face........WOW! He hunted a couple more years until mobility became a problem and his health began failing. Which started me thinking about my dad.........

I remember as a child waiting for my dad to come home from deer hunting with his step-brother, my Uncle Chester. (I really liked Uncle Chet, he was a funny guy, lotsa' jokes and just fun to be around! It was a blast spending time with him out on his farm as a kid!) When we heard the back door opening about an hour after sundown we knew dad was home! My sister and I would run to the door and ask excitedly "Didja' get one?" while looking into the large cardboard box he was holding, which contained his lunchbox, drag rope and ammo. Thinking back on it, it was like I thought the deer (assuming he got one), would be in the box! LOL!

I never knew Dad to kill a single critter, other than the water snakes that inhabited the shoreline in front of our home. He was a WW2 vet, never talked about it much, I figure he'd had his share of killing. But, he endured my interest in hunting and was willing to go with me every weekend of the season. We spent hours together afield, and then one day, I showed up on opening day of deer season with, of all things, a muzzleloading rifle! Not just any muzzloading rifle, This was a 50 caliber T/C Hawken that I had lovingly crafted from a kit, shaping the stock, browning the barrel and rubbing 12 gajillion coats of linseed oil into. All spring & summer that year! Whren we got to the woods, I pulled it out of the case and started loading it (IIRC, it was 90 gr. of 2f with a T/C Maxi-ball, can't remember the weight)when he said "What the hell are you going to do with that THING?" "Well, I thought I'd try to kill a deer with it!" "Try!, Good luck, you'll be lucky if it even goes off!" he said, or words to that effect...... I remember thinking at that time"I've never had a problem with this gun not firing, what's he talking about?" About 9:15 that morning a big, fat doe fell to that Maxi-ball. I was, at first, somewhat disappointed. 50 cal. hole going in, 50 cal. hole going out, "Didn't even mushroom!" I said to myself! Bu then, I thought, "Hey, the deer died, only went a few feet after the shot!"(Through both lungs) Well, Dad came by as I was dressing her out, smilled, shook his head and said "OK.........let's get her into the truck!"

That hunt was back in the late 70's, we had many more years together afield, but I could never convince him to try hunting with a muzzleloader. He told me one time that he'd had to use an old smoothbore caplock as a boy (he was born in 1919) to help put food on the table. He said it was the single most unreliable gun he had ever seen! We shared some old memories of those times before he passed in '92. Thanks for letting me vent a little, life's a bit trying at the moment......

Thanks for sharing it's funny how you look back more often as you get older.

As Bonnie Raitt once sang:

"Life gets more precious when there's less of it to live..."

Very nice stories. I've always loved hunting bonds and the stories that follow. My prayers with you and your family.

That's the thing about a Dad like yours, when "life's a bit trying at the moment", they're there to help you out. :thumbsup: Your Dad will always be with you.

God bless you, and yours.

Richard

Great story. Kinda brought a tear to my eye. It could have been written about my father and I. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
GW

How I longed for my Dad to go hunting with me. As a kid I remember him taking us boys out back to the woods. Then, once I got him into the woods for squirrels when I was older but I knew work was what was on his mind. I made sure I took my kids out on occasion to spend the time with them.
I'm glad your Dad went with you, even if he didn't care to shoot anything.

Thanks for your story. Reminds me of taking my Dad on camping squirrel hunts in early 70s. One year I had put a new peep on my TC .50 and while I was pealing potatoes for dinner said I wanted to shoot a couple of times to see if I was sighed in. Dad picked up a burned stick from the fire and made a spot on a paper plate , walked off 35 steps and using his pocket knife pinned it to a tree and said "you better not hit my knife". I Fired a shot and Dad said "you missed the whole plate" I said go check while I peel the onions. Well he says It's centered the spot. I reloaded and fired again and said go check while I cut the carrots. He came back and "you missed the whole thing this time". You sure? Why don't you dig those two balls out while I make the salad. Sure enough I had placed one ball on top of the other. We had a great dinner that night and a great hunt the next day. One of the last times I had to enjoy a hunt with my Dad. Sorry to be to long.

Reading through these posts I am grateful to be among men like you. Most of the rest of the world can not understand, and will never know, the brotherhood that we share. Thank you!

Thanks for sharing a wonderful story, about you and your father. My Dad started taking me with him when I was old enough to keep up. Some of my fondest memories are about hunting for squirrels, in the hardwood forests of Northern Indiana. One time, I think I was 12 or 13, I sat down with my back against a white oak tee, and promptly drifted off to sleep. I awoke, with a start, with that feeling that I was being watched, and indeed I was. About 10 feet away sat a beautiful red fox, on his haunches, turning his head from side to side, trying to figure out what was that creature that had invaded his home territory. I had an old single shot .22 across my knees, but try as you might, it is not possible to shoulder and fire before such a magnificent animal can safely make his get away. I did not fire, and as I recall, I didn't kill any squirrels on that trip either........Robin :surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:
When times get a little tough, it's nice to think back on the good times shared with friends and family. Thanks for sharing your story and triggering good memories for many of us in the process. :thumbsup:

I started out following my Dad around squirrel hunting at a very young age. When I was 14 and started bow hunting he would scout out "hotspots" for me so when I got home from school I could rush off to sit an hour or two on some new fresh sign. And of course he was always there to help drag if I got one. My Mom would occasionally go sit with me just to enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods. They always encouraged my hunting endeavors.

Besides hunting, I spent many, many hours year-around just hiking the hills near our home with both of them. They instilled a great love of the outdoors in me.

Mom passed in October. Dad is still in pretty good shape for 92, but he's not quite up to running around the woods anymore. But at least I have many good memories of all the time we spent together enjoying God's great creation.

Goin on 2 years lost for me. I am grateful for what I had, but never even thought about how hard this was going to be. I too am having tough times now. Keep tryin. It's all we can do. This is when a new young hunter to come along is needed. Find one and pass it on as our's did.

Thanks for sharing. My father like yours was a WW2 vet 90th. Inf. 3rd. Army He did take me hunting some mostly small game squirrels and rabbits. After getting old enough to go by myself he didn't go much. He never did kill a deer but was always glad I did. Sure was a great fisherman and could out fish you even if you were using the same bait standing right beside him. Dan.

Back