• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A morn in the Squirrel woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I first hunted this woodlot some 30 years ago and as the rays of sunlight filtered through the trees onto the forest floor, I expressed my thankfulness to the great Creator. What a wonderful day this would be and as I waited for the first squirrels to stir, I thought how cool it was to be afield with my .32 flinter.

I made my way to the old "snag" cedar tree to see if the great horned owls were still there, as I had seen them for years. I was pleased to find them both there, and recounted the first time I saw them some 6-8 years ago while on a bowhunt. What an amazing owl they are.

WessOwls.jpg

As the morning moved along I covered much of the woodlot, and the adjoining one too recounting the many hunts that had taken place there. Most of the squirrels I spotted actively searching on the ground for nuts and all had to be snuck up on, something I enjoy as well.

I always enjoy watching the smoke from 30gr of FF black powerder drift through the woodlot after the shot, not being sure if I missed or not. But, as luck would have it, the .32 flinter shot where it was pointed and the morning ended with a good haul of big fox squirrels and a final gray squirrel, which peeked his head around the tree at 30 yards.

wessflintlock2.jpg

wessflintlock.jpg

What a great day to be afield!
Wess

Life is good. We should all count our blessings. Lovely story and beautiful photo's. I've felt the same way many times.

Vern

Wess, what a terrific post...hunt, story, photos, everything.
And you really seem to have a good squirrel population around where you hunt...
:hatsoff:

Good shooting! Those look like some fat fox squirrels! It's also nice to see those big owls in a tree. How long do Great Horned Owls live I wonder? I've heard them and screech Owls in the evening when I'm in the tree stand thats down by the swamp where I hunt.

Thanks everyone.

Great Horned owls lifespan is 5-15 years from what I read.

Good luck if you are out and about!
Wess

Back