• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a pair of flintlock does

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I shot this pair in TN the other morning with the .58 TVM. I got a hold of some old 12 guage slugs from a friend and casts some new balls. I was wondering lately if the balls i was using were too hard and not expanding. It would take a shovel to recover them. Two well placed shots put these girls down with nice blood trails. both went about 100 yds. I dropped my powder measure on the way up the tree and had to pour in my hand and guess. I might have gotten the 3rd one (TN daily limit) but I didnt use enough powder, I poured a measure full (85 g) and dumped it in my hand later to get an idea of what it should look like in case that ever happens again, i think i used about 40 grains on the one that got away. I gave one to the land owner and made breakfast sausage out of the other one. It was my first attempt at sausage, It went well.

Good hunting, congratulations on the Does !!
:thumbsup:

Your powder situation makes me think that just for the heck of it I'm going to test how much powder it would actually be using the old hand-me-down-technique of "covering the ball in the palm of your hand".
Will step into the garage tomorrow and pour my .100grn 2F .58cal charge over a .570 a few times just to get an idea

I agree Roundball, I had the cover the ball in the palm method in mind when i was pouring it. I think all hunters should do this, its a funny feeling for sure sitting in a tree with a deer standing there needing you to reload as fast as possible and your measure is no where to to found.

Wow! Great hunting and that sure is a beautiful weapon.....

thats awesome good job..

itgs funny you mentioned TVM 58. I'm waiting to hear back from them today about a possible order for a southern rifle in 58,, whats your opinions of the TVM and even that caliber for deer?? would you buy another one?

I'm coming from all smoothies and looking for my first rifled.

Congrats on your deer! It sounds like a fun hunt.

My freezer is still empty this year... :cursing: I've been hunting for 20 years and I still get "spike" fever! :haha:

I cheat and keep some of those screw cap plastic vials in my possible bag with premeasured powder in them. The vials and a ball board let me put a finishing shot on a 5 point in a matter of seconds a couple weeks ago with my 12 ga fowler.

I got a "double" similar to those last year but I cheated .. I used a bolt action.

Congratulations on a good job of improvisation and fast reloading.

Good on ya Tony. :thumbsup: That sausage sounds delicious.
If you'd get down outta that tree you coulda just bent over and picked up your measure. :wink: :haha:

Congratulations on a job well done, while keeping your wits about you. I solved the quick reload problem by keeping plastic test tubes, with pre-measured charges, in my pocket. I got the plastic test tubes, with rubber stoppers, from my local vet. He uses them to send in blood samples, to the lab. I have a 3 ball loading block, with patched round balls, on a thong, around my neck. I used a scrap of mahogany I had left over from another project, and the wood was too pretty to throw away. A beautiful picture of the does, laying in the red oak leaves. Keep yer powder dry.....Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
:hatsoff: Weidmannsheil!

Good going there - nice picture and story, too.

Silex

Back