• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question about pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea Pyrodex so hard to ignite that with all the safety precautions in a pretty new factory it blew up the factory along with the guy that invented it. BTW Pyrodex sales saved Hodgdon from going bankrupt

Last edited:
When I started using muzzle loading pistols Pyrodex was the only stuff available at the time. I used several jugs without any issues and eventually was able to try real BP. I honestly can’t tell the difference when shooting or cleaning both. Can’t comment using in a rifle but I believe Pyro will work fine as the main charge and BP for the pan as others suggested.

If you can avoid using Pyro do so - in my reading about the stuff - 2 main issues come to light - the burning temperature and the corrosive effects; It burns at something like 3 x the heat of BP and it's corrosive residues are an order of magnitude greater than BP. Chrome Moly Barrels and fastidious cleaning will help if you must. In NZ we're lucky to have a maker here but he's in the North Island and that damn bit of water between me and him is a pain in the proverbial to get powder across. Crazily one of the legal ways to get it down here is by Private Aircraft!! If anyone is contemplating making BP the best single word of advice is Don't!!!

I use Pyrodex in my matches. Shoots good enough to win targets sometimes. No problems at all with corrosion. No burnt patches ,could use them again. Ignition is perfect when using my home made caps from the 22 reloader powders. I shoot the whole match without swabbing with no problems. I score the targets so I need the time that saves me.

Pyrodex in matches or plinking is ok. I would never trust it during hunting season, I’ve seen too many misfires with it.

I use Pyrodex in my matches. Shoots good enough to win targets sometimes. No problems at all with corrosion. No burnt patches ,could use them again. Ignition is perfect when using my home made caps from the 22 reloader powders. I shoot the whole match without swabbing with no problems. I score the targets so I need the time that saves me.
I've found the same with my DIY caps. I don't shoot subs anymore but they set t7 off for my grandkids. I think they would turn sawdust into a propellent. 🤣

I've had to do both.

Work and not work and then work. probably the cap or me or something. I used up 2 cans so far.

I don't know. It not working is just user. It works.

I think it's fine..
pyrodex P might be better but I havnt tried it.
One guy I used to shoot with got to the point where he was tired of looking for black powder. He'd order six jugs of P off me. Used it in his revolver,pistol,rifle and for suppository loads in a falling block rifle.

As far as duplex loads go if you can find some older loading manuals & Old magazine articles that discuss duplex loads. Old like 30-40-50 maybe some 1960's written recipes.

Latest posts

Back