• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question about pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just use BP and can the Pyrodex. I do most of my cleanup of my BP rifles actually on the shooting bench at the range. And I live 20 minutes drive away.
Problem is, I have no choice but to use pyrodex as the supply of BP where I am is very unreliable - hence my OP. I dont really want to use the stuff, but at the moment it is all that seems to be available. Also, my club does not allow for cleaning the gun actually on site.

Last edited:
You will be fine Sir Boniface Harrison. Just run a patch or two with some sort of cleaning solution down the barrel before you leave the range. Then clean as you would with BP. I've never had an issue with rust when using Pyrodex. Pyrodex also out performs black powder in all my tests. It produced more speed and energy. Matter of fact that 8 point in my avatar was shot with Pyrodex. If it was all I could get, I would have ZERO issues using it.

You will be fine Sir Boniface Harrison. Just run a patch or two with some sort of cleaning solution down the barrel before you leave the range. Then clean as you would with BP
Works very well or me. Before leaving the range i run a patch wet with Windex with vinegar (now called Windex multipurpose cleaner)

Sadly for me here in UK, Windex is not on sale in any recognisable form. When I left the Army, I also left behind my PX accession card to the two large US bases in the area, so after our last American pal moved back to RX last November - [he used to 'befriend me' large amounts of Windex], I'm now bereft. There is nothing quite like it for swabbing between shot,s or even clean up after shooting.

Currently BP is difficult to get in France. I still have plenty, but I like to have several pounds at my disposal. To this effect. I have bought myself 2 canisters of Pyrodex. I have heard that this propellant is slightly more difficult to ignite than normal BP. So, my question is: would it be alright to 'prime' my pyrodex load with a pinch of BP? is this neccessary? Or, is it somehow dangerous or just plain ineffective?
I myself use Pyrodex P in many of my percussion guns. I am not a purist, it is easily bought locally, albeit the price seems to be going up a few dollars. I have never found real black powder locally, so I have had to order it waiting for hazmat specials, or spending a little more than I wanted to get free hazmat and shipping.

I only use (and save) real black powder for my flintlocks, so if you were asking on using a duplex load I haven't tried it, but I have read where guys have luck doing just that.

I shoot muzzleloaders because I love shooting muzzleloaders, and that is all! :)

a good source on BP in general is Bill Knight (the Mad Monk).

Black powder,yes!

Black powder substitutes, not so much. Bill Knight claimed that Pyrodex residue was corrosive due to the potassium perchlorate. i asked why Triple Seven residue was not seriously corrosive since both powders contain potassium perchlorate.

The sulfur in Pyrodex causes the corrosion. Ditto for unholy black powder.

@TFoley a good sub for windex is the windshield wash solution that goes in the car. Maybe add a smidge of vinegar 🤔

Dang, whenever we have a get-together the cleaning takes on the atmosphere of a social event.
That sounds great, I am really envious. I am a bit of a loner in my club; they are happy to have me, but most of the other guys are modernists, shooting mainly weedy little .22s with fancy scopes etc.

You will be fine Sir Boniface Harrison. Just run a patch or two with some sort of cleaning solution down the barrel before you leave the range. ....
This is my normal procedure. To run a patch impregnated with BP lube down the barrel before leaving the range makes the fouling soft and much easier to clean later at home. There's no way your club can fault you for that. You're not actually cleaning the gun on site.

Black powder,yes!

Black powder substitutes, not so much. Bill Knight claimed that Pyrodex residue was corrosive due to the potassium perchlorate. i asked why Triple Seven residue was not seriously corrosive since both powders contain potassium perchlorate.

The sulfur in Pyrodex causes the corrosion. Ditto for unholy black powder.
Not sure who you were asking 🤔 But, the perchlorate is corrosive regardless of being in t7 or pyrodex. But, like BP fouling, it is easily washed away with plain water and needs to be done promptly.

If sulfur in pyrodex is a corrosion factor also then so be it. I wasn't aware that pyrodex had sulfur in it.

Currently BP is difficult to get in France. I still have plenty, but I like to have several pounds at my disposal. To this effect. I have bought myself 2 canisters of Pyrodex. I have heard that this propellant is slightly more difficult to ignite than normal BP. So, my question is: would it be alright to 'prime' my pyrodex load with a pinch of BP? is this neccessary? Or, is it somehow dangerous or just plain ineffective?
I didn't go through the thread in detail, perhaps somebody already pointed out that artillery rounds used to use BP for igniting the main propellant.

You will be fine Sir Boniface Harrison. Just run a patch or two with some sort of cleaning solution down the barrel before you leave the range. Then clean as you would with BP. I've never had an issue with rust when using Pyrodex. Pyrodex also out performs black powder in all my tests. It produced more speed and energy. Matter of fact that 8 point in my avatar was shot with Pyrodex. If it was all I could get, I would have ZERO issues using it.
When I bought my first Muzzle loader rifle it was to be able to hunt Muzzle loader season. I would have used anything to push a ball through a deer. I wound up using Pyrodex as there was no black powder around that I knew of? I followed the direction on the care of my rifle and picked the charge recommended to use in it and never looked back. My rifle is as accurate as any one would want. When I hunted thick woods it was my go to rifle. Follow the directions for cleaning your rifle and load for it and you will most likely waste your time experimenting with other ways but it is fun!

Back