• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a short happy-sad trek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I do a simple outing every year for my birthday, usually combining a little rabbit or squirrel hunting, nature walk, photography session and cooking lunch. Life intruded, this year, so it was a couple of months late, but it’s always good, whenever.

The feel of the day was different, this time. I have sold my farm, but made part of the deal unlimited access for hunting, fishing and trekking, for my lifetime. I’m also guaranteed that I’ll have the place to myself anytime I choose to go out. Even so, though it was the same place, I was trekking over another man’s property, and it made a difference. I owned the place for thirty-five years, and managed it for the wildlife whenever possible. That will no longer be the case, it will now be primarily a farm, and it will be interesting to see what changes because of that.

Lord, the memories I accumulated while I had it. I’m having trouble letting it go.

I have been honing my shooting kit down to bare essentials, using tow and brown paper for all my wadding, ball and shot, and carrying nothing not absolutely necessary. Well, except for my lucky buckeye and other mystical medicine. All for the flintlock smoothbore, of course. The kit worked well, today, and I’m happy with it. I carried it in my double bag and with my buffalo powder horn.

Temperature in the morning was 22°F, no wind, clear blue sky, a good day to be roaming the Kentucky hills and woods in colonial garb with smoothbore in hand. I hunted rabbits for an hour or more, then hiked half a mile to the very back of the farm where the boundary is a nice little creek. The trail there took me through a big woods lot, so I hunted squirrels on the way. I had seen only one rabbit, no shot, and by the time I reached the creek I decided I had drawn a blank on the squirrels, too. Not so. Standing on the bank of the creek making up my mind where to settle down, I was startled by a sudden crashing as a dead limb fell from a small tree on the opposite bank. I was amazed to see that a big gray squirrel had been on it when it came down, and he hit the ground with a thump, recovered and dashed upstream. I was standing with the butt of the smoothbore on my toe, but I surprised myself by getting off a very quick snap shot, anchoring him. Mother Nature will provide, but you have to be ready. I only got one foot a little wet crossing the stream twice to retrieve him. Rocks are good.

I picked a spot on the edge of the creek which had a log to sit on, and spent the next few hours building a fire with burning glass, charwood and cedar bark, roasting a chunk of venison loin from a buck I took not far from there, boiling some sassafras tea, and toasting some homemade bread. While all that was happening, I threw my tomahawk, shot the smoothbore at stuff and things, took pictures, hiked along an ancient slave fence nearby, and just generally made a day of it. When the food was ready I had loin, bread, sassafras tea sweetened with maple sugar and some 18th-century biscuits I baked for the trip. Life is good.

Sitting there on the log, I wandered through many very good memories from all the years I’ve been roaming this patch of ground. I don’t think we ever own land, really, we just occupy it for a time. I’ve often wondered who had it when that slave fence was built at least one hundred and fifty years ago. Few things in my life give me as much pleasure as knowing I did my best to take care of the place while the responsibility was mine, and I look forward to at least a few more days like this on it.

Too many pictures, sorry.

Spence

Spence, that was a fascinating essay on your hunting preserve. Makes me want to get out into the woods, which I can't, and enjoy it the traditional way.

Those pics show a beautiful place and I know you love it. You did make me really hungry with those food pics; it all looked so very delicious. :hatsoff:

Spence,it does not get any better than what you are allowed to see & do,I do regret you had to let the land go but alas,, 1 day I shall do the same, but enjoy my fellow woodsman,for few gets to walk our walk :wink:

A bittersweet post Sir, for sure. I can only thank you for sharing it though, one of the best reads i've had in a while and i found myself wishing your words were in a thousand page book of which i'd just read the first few paragraphs. Thanks so much for sharing your time in your woods. J.S.

Sir, I do believe you have it all figured out. That land never really belonged to you but it is certain that you belong to it. I wish you many more days of wander and wonder upon it. I have never seen a man enjoy a day afield quite like you. You inspired me. Thank you for this.

Very good Spence,

You truly are an inspiration to guys like myself trying to carry on this tradition. Thank you for everything I have learned from you. Hopefully after doing this for 50 years I am able to pass this on as well.

Spence, an excellent post. You can never post too many pictures like that! I remember your previous posts of your birthday jaunts. Always enjoyable to read about your day's activities.

While I'm sure it's very hard to let go of the "ownership" of that piece of land, at least you still have access to roam it at your heart's content and visit all your favorite haunts. After over 50 years of spending countless hours walking, exploring, and hunting the former farm of my great grandfather, the current owners leased it out to a big-time hunting lease company and now I cannot even step foot on it. It's the first place I remember following behind my father while he hunted squirrels with an ancient single shot .22. It's the place I killed my first deer with bow and arrow at age 14. Now I don't know if I'll ever see any of those spots again.

So, you're a very lucky man. Your place looks truly special and I'm glad for you that you'll get to enjoy it for as long as you can. I look forward to more stories and pictures of your visits. :hatsoff:

"Mother Nature will provide, but, you have to be ready".

There's the quote of the year! :thumbsup:

If it's not trademarked nor copyrighted Spence, I would like to use it. Very well said.

If you will elaborate on the "slave fence", I would like to learn more about it.

Please keep these threads and photos coming for all of us to enjoy!

I'm glad you had a good trek and wish you many more. That ground looks a lot like some of my stomping grounds up here. Like you, I believe we are more caretakers than owners.

I would like to take my hat off for you and your stewardship Sir. :hatsoff:

All the best, Skychief.

Spence, reading your post put me in mind of Henry David Thoreau and his Walden pond. Thank you for giving us a look into your world. You have reminded us of the simple pleasures we may be missing.

there are so many people in this country that will never know the beauty of the wild. just to sit and listen to the water trickle down stream and to smell the fresh air is such a treat.

I think I know how you feel. My place is for sale now and I'm not looking forward to leaving. Just today looked out and several elk were laying down within 100 yd. from the front door and later several whitetails were roaming close by. My blood is in this place and when I drive away the last time I'm sure the tears will be coming down.

Spence thanks for taking us along on your journey :hatsoff: I felt as if I were sitting right there next to you on that log. :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Spence, you have inspired me here on this forum many, many times! Your words from this post are so pure that I can actually feel the same things that you are feeling. I know it must be very hard to tread upon the same ground no longer under your stewardship. Even with the rights and permissions to do so, there would be a hollow void in your stomach almost a feeling of trespass. This is a feeling that you must overcome and throw it to the buzzards! Blocked totally from your mind and heart. You will enjoy what is truly yours! God Bless you my friend.

Back