• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a short happy-sad trek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Millions would never understand us Spence.
The love of the trees and earth, wildlife,the air and the peace.
I hear you my older brother. I too lost my favourite patch of 19 years.
Thick timber, not so thick timber. More timber, did I mention the timber!
Pheasant, duck, squill and rabbit. Pigeon too.
I hear ya' my olelder brother.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
You are right about that, and I've spent some time considering that fact, wondering why our feelings about it are different. My life, in general, is that of a very civilized man, I've spent it largely in big cities, surrounded by lots of people, and taken advantage of all the modern amenities, and yet I have never lost the feeling of a very strong attachment to the natural world. It's not a casual thing, it occupies a lot of my thinking and activities, always has. It's almost primordial. I've always had a very strong understanding that I'm not separate from it, that I'm as deeply a part of it as all the other animals, I came from it, and will return to it in the end. The hunting is important to me, but it's mostly an excuse to be out in it. It's not just that I enjoy sitting on a log listening to the stream murmur and soaking it all in, it's that I need it.

I don't know many people I can even discuss this with. It's always a pleasure to share thoughts with the few who understand.

Spence

George said:
It's not a casual thing, it occupies a lot of my thinking and activities, always has. It's almost primordial. I've always had a very strong understanding that I'm not separate from it, that I'm as deeply a part of it as all the other animals, I came from it, and will return to it in the end. The hunting is important to me, but it's mostly an excuse to be out in it. It's not just that I enjoy sitting on a log listening to the stream murmur and soaking it all in, it's that I need it.

Spence...you could not have said this better. I feel exactly the same way.

Being outdoors in the woods almost every day, even just for a walk with my dogs, is not an option for me, it's a pure, primordial NEED. While I love time outdoors anywhere, I've also noticed that I am drawn very strongly to certain places. For me there's no stronger feeling of connection to a place than when I visit the Pipestone National Monument or the
Black Hills of South Dakota.

If there is reincarnation, I have no doubt that in some previous life I was a Native in that area.

I don't know many people I can even discuss this with. It's always a pleasure to share thoughts with the few who understand.

Understand I do! It is funny when talk turns to the notion of winning the lottery. I tell people that my dream of hitting it big would be to buy a large property in the sticks and build a little cabin and live off the land for the rest of my life. Most people look at me funny. They certainly do not get it!

:hatsoff: Howdy Spence.As i sit here reading this and looking at the pictures i wonder what i'm doing sitting here.Should be know excuses not to get out and do what your're doing.Now i'll be day dreaming all day and to the next time i can get out there.Cabin Fever is a terrible thing.You sir have the cure.Thank you,it made my day :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Griz

Last edited by a moderator:
Skychief said:
If it's not trademarked nor copyrighted Spence, I would like to use it. Very well said.

If you will elaborate on the "slave fence", I would like to learn more about it.
Use it as you please, ideas are public domain.

The term slave fence is commonly applied to the stone fences found in this area. They are built of limestone blocks without mortar, and come in various forms. Folklore around here is that they were introduced to this country by the Irish, who had a lot of experience building them to get the rocks out of their fields. That would certainly be appropriate on my farm. The one remnant on my place is mostly all fallen down, but was originally built using such large top blocks its amazing. They go back into the slave times, but I don't know about that connection to the name.

Spence

George said:
Britsmoothy said:
You are right about that, and I've spent some time considering that fact, wondering why our feelings about it are different. My life, in general, is that of a very civilized man, I've spent it largely in big cities, surrounded by lots of people, and taken advantage of all the modern amenities, and yet I have never lost the feeling of a very strong attachment to the natural world. It's not a casual thing, it occupies a lot of my thinking and activities, always has. It's almost primordial. I've always had a very strong understanding that I'm not separate from it, that I'm as deeply a part of it as all the other animals, I came from it, and will return to it in the end. The hunting is important to me, but it's mostly an excuse to be out in it. It's not just that I enjoy sitting on a log listening to the stream murmur and soaking it all in, it's that I need it.

Spence
You could not of explained it for how I feel any more accurately!

B :hatsoff:

I agree with JonnyReb--I felt like I'd just started to tuck into a well-written book. Spence, I know I'd be a grateful reader of any story you might choose to write on these woody subjects! Thank you!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post...really a good essay, Spence. And "too many pictures"? Not enough, in my book. Looks like some great terrain.

Thanks for the reply partner.

I see more of those type fences in the very southern part of Indiana, with a scattered few found farther North.

Very interesting.

Stay in touch Spence, Skychief. :hatsoff:

Livbucks said:
Sir, I do believe you have it all figured out. That land never really belonged to you but it is certain that you belong to it. I wish you many more days of wander and wonder upon it. I have never seen a man enjoy a day afield quite like you. You inspired me. Thank you for this.

:thumbsup:

I'll spend the rest of the night going to MY favorite camps.....but alas only in my memories, at least for tonight.

My mom loved a "fine Irish wall". I once pointed out a rock & mortar wall and said "Look Mom an Irish wall".

I was chastised :nono: "No Irish man worth his salt needs to use mortar in place of skill to build a wall!" Yikes!! :surrender:

Thanks,Spence!
My family sold the mountain property that occupied the happiest days of my youth and my adulthood. I still can camp near there, because it borders public land, and the new owners have given me permission to use it if I like. But the sadness you wrote about is the same I feel when I am up there.
Not enough pictures in my book. I never pass up reading one of your posts.

. It's almost primordial. I've always had a very strong understanding that I'm not separate from it, that I'm as deeply a part of it as all the other animals, I came from it, and will return to it in the end. The hunting is important to me, but it's mostly an excuse to be out in it. It's not just that I enjoy sitting on a log listening to the stream murmur and soaking it all in, it's that I need it.

Spence[/quote]

Spence, Thank you for the wonderful photographs and narrative. They are every bit as thought provoking as your notebook tales, and as worthy.

I have seen the stone fences that you refer to as slave fences, in the hills of Indiana, where I grew up, in western New York State and near my home in Tennessee. I have sat along side of them, while I watched for game, and pondered their original purpose.

I have always believed that we, as human animals,
retain some of our primordial instincts, but that we have learned to ignore them. How else can you explain the calming effect from the smell of ripe mast crops in the fall woods, or the odor of rutting white tail bucks, that have passed up wind from you, that assault your senses, putting you on alert as the ultimate predator. I worked as a LEO for 36 years, and I can tell you that when you get that feeling that the hair is standing up on the back of your neck, that something isn't right, you had best stop and look around because some times your instincts were right. We learn as much from what we co not hear or smell as when we do. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Spencer, the one thing that bothers me about coming to know of and read about you is that it took this long. Thanks for writing!

Back