• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A steal of a Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this second generation Colt dragoon from the 70s in a furniture store of all places! They had it grossly undermarked and I pounced on it. The bluing and case coloring are awesome. It is so cool to look down and see the Colt rollmarks. I have read that Colt will even letter these guns as one of their’s! It looks to be unfired...not for long

Attachments

• E079BDB7-5361-4045-9BD8-7BFDBE8B1EF6.jpeg
    E079BDB7-5361-4045-9BD8-7BFDBE8B1EF6.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 321
  • FAEFE43D-8DDD-41A0-8153-C738A6F5E33D.jpeg
    FAEFE43D-8DDD-41A0-8153-C738A6F5E33D.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 322
Looks nice. Might just be an illusion but the barrel looks like it's pulled up. Might want to check the arbor bottom out.

The first pic looks a little like it, but it could be just the angle that the picture is taken. The second (upside down) one doesn't. Take it to a smith and have them check out the alignment and timing.

Upon further prowling, it definitely is. And I don't know if this is related, but you need to be the hulk to get the wedge out. Had to use tools.

Sure it could be related.
With a short arbor, the deeper the wedge is inserted, the tighter the cylinder barrel gap becomes.
The tight wedge can cause the arbor & barrel to angle upward and make it shoot even higher than normal.
It's said to drop some thin temporary shims into the arbor hole that can be made from an aluminum can,, or use a thin washer.
A 3/8" paper punch can be used to punch out the shims.
Doing that will help keep pressure off the wedge, and help to maintain the same barrel cylinder gap each time the barrel and wedge is installed.
Some folks never bother to shim their arbor, yet theirs shoot fine and without any extra wear & tear.
The wedge will end up wearing in a little bit, but keeping the loads reasonable would help to not put too much pressure on it.

A Dollar bill can be used to roughly measure the barrel cylinder gap when the barrel and wedge are installed.
The thickness of a new Dollar bill is .004" [actually .0043"].
If the bill is doubled over it becomes .008 which represents a reasonable range for a B/C gap.
You want the cylinder to rotate freely with the wedge installed without there being too large or too small of a gap.
.003 - .005 is a nice B/C gap, and even .010 or more is acceptable.
That's a ice looking gun with beautiful colors!
Let us know how it shoots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back