• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Taste of History

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a show I found on our ROKU streaming service last year. If you're into 18th century lifestyle and cooking this is a good one. It is a chef, don't remember where he is from. Germany maybe... He goes to historic locations and cooks traditional food in HC ways. Right now I'm watching him make cabbage pudding in Thomas Jefferson's kitchen. Not just food but lots of history discussed. There are I think 13 seasons and they are spread out on the Roku. A few seasons are on Freevee, a few on Tubi, and so on. Well worth watching. Would post a link but I'm on a crappy phone.

Don't know if I'm brave enough to try cabbage pudding. Butterscotch on the other hand.....
I can tell ya after seeing it I'm gonna try it. Looked hardy and delicious. Remember, pudding was different back then. This one was stuffed with meat. And battered and fried asparagus on the side. And I like butterscotch too.

I can tell ya after seeing it I'm gonna try it. Looked hardy and delicious. Remember, pudding was different back then. This one was stuffed with meat. And battered and fried asparagus on the side. And I like butterscotch too.
Game changer then. My mind was thinking mushed up cabbage. I cooked some asparagus on the grill today. Good stuff.

I watch it on public television for a number of years. He made some great looking dishes although most wouldn’t be described as heart healthy with the amount of cream, butter and fat used. My mouth is watering like Pavlov’s dog just thinking about it.

This is a show I found on our ROKU streaming service last year. If you're into 18th century lifestyle and cooking this is a good one. It is a chef, don't remember where he is from. Germany maybe... He goes to historic locations and cooks traditional food in HC ways. Right now I'm watching him make cabbage pudding in Thomas Jefferson's kitchen. Not just food but lots of history discussed. There are I think 13 seasons and they are spread out on the Roku. A few seasons are on Freevee, a few on Tubi, and so on. Well worth watching. Would post a link but I'm on a crappy phone.
Try Tasting History on YouTube or, if you got to https://www.tastinghistory.com/ you can filter the recipes by time period. Not just cooking but a lot of history as well.

Game changer then. My mind was thinking mushed up cabbage. I cooked some asparagus on the grill today. Good stuff.
Pudding coms from pudd an old word for paunch. It means to stuff a paunch with meat or meat and veggies tie it up in a bag shap and boil.
The Norman’s brought it to England and pretty soon the English were bagging and boiling everything they could find.
They changed to a linen bag as there is only one paunch per animal.
One could boils a bread or a stuffed bread, savory dishes or deserts. One popular was green peas mashed and cooked in a bag, makes a solid pea soup
Very good if you like green pea soup.
The custard like puddings didn’t become a thing until late nineteenth century

Latest posts

Back