• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Absolute newbie, wondering which rifle to start out with?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good advice here so far. I'll jump in now.
Bob, In your first post You said this will be your first ML ever. If you don't like this game (highly unlikely, you'll see), IMO, I would do as others already mentioned and get a factory gun such as a Lyman or T/C. Good quality shooters for way under your budget. Semi-custom or custom can come later.
Being primarily a hunter myself, and with side hammers for about 25 yrs, I took members advice here and recently bought a GPR in .54. See my "Range Time -Finally " thread in ML Accuracy section here in the forum. I wanted a dedicated RB rifle and for 370 bucks at MidSouth, I got it. Added fiber sights (not too pc) for 29 bucks, a stainless nipple and a composite ramrod, and I now have a great shooter that will put meat in the freezer.
Why .54? No particular reason . That's all I ever had and it kills deer dead at my realistic deer woods ranges of 50 feet out to 70 yards. Recoil aint bad either.

Pedersoli is among the finest Italian gun makers, in ML rifles, pistols, as well as single shot BP .45-70 (and bigger) caliber cartridge rifles.

Sort of like a Chevy and a Caddy. Nobody ever bought a Caddy and said that they wished they'd bought the Chevy insted! The rich corinthian leather, real wood dash, sound system, tinted glass, and the quite ride! That's a Pedersoli and that's why it's hundreds more.

Enjoy your Test Ride and let us know which model Caddy you wind up with.

All the best, Dave

Bobznew. I would recommend an underhammer. Better locktime results in better offhand shooting. Super reliable and less moving parts to contend with. Period authentic, from about 1830. I have shot most and wouldnt trade my underhammer for 5 sidehammers.

While underhammers are neat guns, some shooters who have shot them while wearing short sleeved shirts aren't very fond of their forearms being hit with flying cap fragments.

Thought I should point out that these can sting a bit. :(

zonie

can't beat an underhammer for simplicity and accuracy. a few cap fragments and a couple of powder burns just builds character!

Hi Bob haven't read all of the replys you have gotten here but the TC Hawken in .50 cal that is for sale here on the site would most likely be a great gun to start with. I started with a TC Renegade in 54 but the drop in the stock was very shallow and it hammered me pretty good on the cheek bone with heavy loads. The Hawken here has more of a drop and the price looks to be right! (And it aint mine either)

I shoot a Jim Bridger Track of the Wolf rifle I built, it is in 58 caliber. I use it for my squirrel rifle. :rotf:

take care and good luck

rabbit03

Tree rats with a 58 ! WOW.
No need for powder or balls
Hell they fall right out of the tree from shock when they see what you are aiming at them :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

RC said:
question??? how long afore this new to blackpowder,wants it just fer deer season gets HOOKED? lyman or t/c best bets...fer now...till yer hooked...then..hehehehe! WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :thumbsup: RC
Friend He is already hooked He just don't know it yet...wait till he gets that first wiff of black powder..It gets in your blood :hmm:

HI Woodhick that's the idea just show em' what you got and they'll just jump in your sack! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :blah:

I wish it were that easy!

rabbit03

Back