• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accidents It can happen to you

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch Schoultz said:
Back in the 70's there was much more conversation about burst barrels and the crippling and occasional death that resulted from such events,
I understood that The people producing Douglas Barrels discontinued because of all the litigation those events caused,

Long before I suggested wiping between shots so that each shot came from the ame sized barrel I had suggested the wipe to remove any build up of baked on residue which will always make it hard to reload followup hots because if that build up makes it hard to get a patched ball down the barrel, what would happen if that residue prevented the patched ball from getting out of the barrel. At best you will have a bulged spot in the bore of the rifle ruing itof at worst a burst barrel.
I believe if you wipe between shots for accuracy or between every other shot for safety there is NO WAY you will have a burst barrel

I think a burst barrel is the fault of the rifleman and rarely the fault of the manufacturer.

Dutch Schoultz
I agree with what you say concerning a rifle but the gun in question was a smoothbore percussion shotgun loaded with lead shot for clay shooting , What I was trying to point out when I started this thread was use the right wads for the job the over shot wad was thinner than 1/16 which was bypassed by the ramrod and left on the bore wall .When the gun was fired this wad opened up thus causing a obstruction which has the image shows and burst the barrel .
Feltwad

I get what you're saying.....I've had overshot cards turn sideways and the ramrod went right past....I'm always very careful seating the overshot wad....then I tip the barrel down and see if any pellets roll out....

If one does turn sideways, I run another card down to push down the first.

Felt wad.

it seems impossible that an out of place over shot wad could cause a burst barrel/ But how else explain it.

Was the barrel drilled through a solid piece of steel as in a .50 caliber Hawwken rifle barrel or was it made from a flat piece of steel wrapped around a mandrill (sp) and welled into a barrel as on the 1860 Springfield army rifles?

I apologize, to you because My very poor vision did not allow me to read your full post/ I was able to see it dealt with burst barrels so I posted my thoughts on the causes of such tragedies.
I'm sure your post was complete on its subject and gave all the details was forced to skip/

I should butt out when I can't read entire posts.

Dutcgh Schultz, leo known as Blind Willy the Typestter.

nhmoose said:
Oscar Gaddy did a test of a Parker Damascus to destruction with loads from White Labs.

You would be amazed the loads the gun took till blowing.

Try a search on the double gun journal board on it.
I agree Damascus barrels have been tested with heavy loads but has long has there is no obstruction it will take a lot before busting .Damascus barrels of good manufacture do flex when fired the best can be whittle with knife . Most burst are mostly with snow or soil in the muzzle ends.
Heavy loads are the cause of barrel ripple and plass wads leave a plastic film in the bore which left to build up can cause a obstruction .
With many decades of restoration I have come across many faults by using heavy loads and plastic wads .
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back