• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy at 100 yds.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether it makes a difference in accuracy with your gun I wouldn't know, but if a person opens up a box of Hornady or Speer balls you'll find the diameter tolerance is a minus .002th'' and it also includes being out of round.

If you use ball and patch combinations thats tight (ball diameters .005th under bore size) these tolerance will have no effect on accuracy even if we're talking about out of round (by .001 or .002th ) , the act of starting the ball would return the ball to spherical
:thumbsup:

I personally have two 45 calibers that I spent quite a few hours working up target loads over sandbags for (25, 50 and 100 yards). I'm not sure what the optimum powder charge would be for accuracy in your rifle but I'll bet when you get past 60 gr. of black powder your accuracy on the range will start going downhill. Both of my 45's I use 35 gr. of Goex FFFg for 25 and 50 yard targets and use 55 gr. for 100 yards. I use a 6:00 hold at all ranges. The targets will very from match to match, but generally we use three inch bull's-eye at 25 yards and six inch bull's-eye's at 50 and 100 yards.
:m2c:

Thanks!
I'll try on saturday with my friend what you suggest.
I bought few drapery for different patch thickness.
I'll start from 25 m range up to 100m.
Best regards

Wally-mart sells blue striped, 100% cotton, pillow ticking. It averages .016 thickness and works like a champ in my rifles with Stumpy's witches' brew.

He's going to have to find some 0.4mm cotton material somewhere.

Sebastian - make sure you're not using synthetic fibers in your patching (Nylon, Rayon, Dacron, etc.). That could cause some odd results as it melts (Cotton chars, but does not melt). Cotton, linen or wool will all work. Cotton being the easiest (hereabouts) to find. Old flannel beadsheets are excellent, but the blue & white striped pillow tic is my favorite.

Sebastian- It might be sacrilge in Poland, but old jean's legs make good patch material for a ball that's .010" below bore size. We used to also use that for balls .005' under, with deep riflng. I've tried other materials, from ticking to cottom duck and always go back to some form of denim - jean or rugby-pant material from yeards-goods stores. It's double locking weave lends strength to the fibres. :m2c:

I bought few drapery for different patch thickness.
Now, there's an idea. "Honey, you won't believe what I did to the living room drapes."

Regards, sse

I have try few patch material and I found good one.
There is my target.
100 yds 60 grains of Vesuvit LC PRB .44
five shot series. One went to high.
Gun is Traditions Ranger .45 with 1-66 twist and 28" barell.
g75.jpg

Point 10 has 2", 9 about 4".

Hi Sebastian

Couldn't help noticing you are in Poland and shooting BP so you might know where the good stuff is?

I'm trying to get details of the 17th century split trail gun carriage that was found in the Vistula river in 1913. I believe it is in a War Museum in Warsaw.

All I have is one picture in a book, "Polish Armies 1569-1696 (2)" by Richard Brzezinski.

Have trade goods, want more pictures ::

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

I'm trying to get details of the 17th century split trail gun carriage that was found in the Vistula river in 1913. I believe it is in a War Museum in Warsaw.
Have trade goods, want more pictures ::
Robin G Hewitt
Robin I will try to find more pictures or I ask someone who live in Warsaw.Maybe Museum have some of pictures.
Regards.

The one that went high, was that the first shot?
No. I fired at 50 m before so barrel wasn't clean.I have 7x50 binoculars and its to small at this range so I don't know which one shot was missed.I was tired after day and don't walk at every shot.When I finally saw target I was surprised.But I hope it was only my fault.
At 100 m black circle is VERY small. :)
Unfortunatelly I end my caps so I wasn't able to confirm and repeat this accuracy.When I will buy new one I will try to repeat this.

Latest posts

Back