• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy BP Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothymattson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have seen many posts about using "fillers" such as cream of wheat among other stuff. Is getting the ball as close to the end of the cylinder as possible, while still allowing it to rotate, really gain that much accuracy, or is it just to add additional safe guard for chain firing?

No, it is only for accuracy. Since all guns are unique there's no way to know if your revolver will shoot better with the ball as close to the cylinder end as possible.

With every BP revolver I have shot having the ball close to the barrel makes a world of difference in accuracy.
Filler is a must (imho) for anyone thinking to use a revolver for hunting of critters or X's.

Although some revolvers are stout enough to load with allot of black powder to bring the ball to the front without filler, I betcha that load isn't accurate.

timothymattson said:
Hi all,
Have seen many posts about using "fillers" such as cream of wheat among other stuff. Is getting the ball as close to the end of the cylinder as possible, while still allowing it to rotate, really gain that much accuracy, or is it just to add additional safe guard for chain firing?

It is now established fact that chain firing occurs when the flame of a cap flashes over onto the adjacent badly-worn nipple, not from the front. where the ball is effectively ram-sealed into the chamber by the action of the loading lever, shaving off part of its material to do so in the process.

tac

If I may ask, established by whom? I have always been taught to seal the forward end of each cylinder chamber with some lube-type substance to provide added insurance against chain fires, in addition to using a ball that is shaved during loading. I can see how what you describe can happen, but not sure it accounts for most chain-fires.

Well, actually there is another reason. Small charges may not be fully compressed, due to stroke of ram on a particular revolver. Fillers and wad-over-powder allow you to seat the ball against the powder charge, when reduced loads are wanted.

timothymattson said:
Hi all,

Yes.

The High Master and Master shooters all use a filler of their choice to get the ball at the front of the cylinder. This is to minimize the jump from the cylinder to the forcing cone. Lube is there to reduce powder fowling in the forcing cone and barrel, no other reason.

timothymattson said:
Hi all,

Timothy,

I'm going to be the "odd Man out" here and say YES, that getting the ball close to the forcing cone does improve accuracy, BUT does so only in combination with uniform compression of as near to exact charges as possible from chamber to chamber, thus lowering the sdv. And Cynthia Lee is correct in that every revolver I own & shoot needs a few less grains than maximum in order to tighten-up its' groups. So a little space in the chamber is O-K, but NOT a lot of space. There is a "happy medium" with every smokewagon. '58 Remmys & Colt Armys seem to like 27 grains, and my Colt Walker likes 52 grains. Your mileage may vary. The important thing to remember is uniform charges produce uniform ball seating depth in combination with uniform compression of the powder charge and uniform ballistics are the end-result.

As to the issue of chain-fires, Tac is correct. I've always used Ox-Yoke Wonder-Wads over the powder and I've never had a Chain Fire. But I do pinch every #10 cap so they stay ON, even when the mighty Colt Walker barks from a 52 grain rifle charge of 3Fg Goex! So if your caps start falling-off under recoil, STOP and reapply some pinched ones so you never see what a Chain Fire looks like!

As to using cereal, well, my guns only eat powder & lead, as they were meant to do when invented. No cereal, no fillers, no Hi-Vis sights, no replacement parts to bring POI to match POA. I just learned where the gun shoots and compensated for it. And yet somehow I was able to become the first in the Country NRA Qualified Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Pistol using just an out-of-the-box Uberti Colt 1860 Army loaded with 27 grains of 3Fg Goex.

I stop-in here at the Forum from time-to-time and enjoy mentoring. If you ever need an opinion and I'm not around, just PM me as the site will email me and I'll answer any questions I can.

Enjoy your revolver, and remember, like Leno said in the Doritos commercial, "You can never have just ONE"!

Dave
Shootist

If you look at modern revolvers, like a 32 mag or a .357 and you shoot the weaker sister cartridges in these guns you will notice they dont quite shoot as accurately as the cartridge chambered for the gun. I imagine the same wisdom can be applied to bp revolvers. I dont use fillers but I load an appropriate service charge of 20 grains of fffg then a 130 grain minie ball onto in my 36 navy. i would think the elongated minie eliminates more room in the chamber.

mark3smle said:
If you look at modern revolvers, like a 32 mag or a .357 and you shoot the weaker sister cartridges in these guns you will notice they dont quite shoot as accurately as the cartridge chambered for the gun. I imagine the same wisdom can be applied to bp revolvers. I dont use fillers but I load an appropriate service charge of 20 grains of fffg then a 130 grain minie ball onto in my 36 navy. i would think the elongated minie eliminates more room in the chamber.

Yes, some guns work better while using just full-length brass, regardless of the strength of the powder charge.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of that Minnie in .36 caliber. And yes again, the elongated Minnie takes-up some room in the chambers.

Latest posts

Back