• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acquired a "Beretta" O/U with rare accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just brought home a Beretta marked O/U percussion shotgun. What was most attractive to me was the complete accessories with it. I have never seen a custom Beretta logoed hard case for these, but this has one with a matching serial #. The case even has 2 keys with matching serial # on a leather Beretta key tag. All the original paperwork including Italian and Beretta is included. How did that even happen? We all know ASM allegedly made all of these. Why/how do I have all 3 Italian Proof House cards for this gun? The Beretta Warranty brochure in the plastic Beretta logo sleeve, and the Si Certifica - Fabbrica D'Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.a. The green Replica Model 1000 instruction manual is included. The accessories include: PB marked power flash, PB marked shot snake and a PB marked brass powder measure (tube). Then there's a wood handled, 3-piece Beretta marked cleaning rod with two brushes, a small plastic Beretta marked sleeve that says "spare" and includes a set of #11 and set of musket cap nipples; a long silver wrench with a open box end an a square opening (for nipples I think) on the other end. Last oddity I identified so far is that these have long been said to weigh 7.5 pounds but this one weighs 6-pounds 12-ounces! The owner had a story to back up some of this, but I cannot verify. He said Don Strum (a well known gun dealer in Missouri from the 70-s to 90's that I happen to have known) imported 300 of these for distribution. The owner says he worked there at the time. He says they received a display model alone in a package with all the stuff I described prior to the main shipment. Don Strum supposedly put this in a glass display case on the floor and arranged a rack on both sides to display some of these that could be handled, while the rest were in the store room for shipping to purchasers. When the main shipment arrived, they were all in cardboard and styrofoam boxes. Allegedly, Don called and carried on about the hard cases, but was told they were lost and later found to have been damaged (he even said there was a rumor they were in a fire during shipping) and the hard cases never showed up. They sold them for $275 each at first! When this man ended his 12-year employment and moved, he asked to buy the display gun and has had it in a safe since. That's his story. If any wants to refute that with some evidence I am all ears. Regardless, I have never seen the hard case with matching serial # keys, and all the PB accessories I have, let alone the extensive serialized paperwork.

Of note is some of the instructions. Regarding load is says: Although suitable for 97.5 US grains FFg and 540 US grains of #7.5 shot for Intl. clay pigeon rules, the gun is designed to function best with 77.2 US grains with the same volume of shot. Charges greater than 5 grams (77.2 US grains) simply puts the gun through a useless battering without improving ballistic performance.

Over powder wads should equal 12mm. 1/2" total height while over shot wads should equal up to 6mm. 1/4"

STEP 1: To load, put hammers down over spent caps

Troubleshooting: If fail to fire, clean nipple hole with a pin, with ramrod press charge again to make sure it is compact.

Disassembly: Remove barrels from stock..., remove nipples with wrench..., unscrew and remove nipple bolster Allen screw...., remove breach plugs with wrench (!)....clean from breach to muzzle..., clean breach plugs, nipples and barrels thoroughly.....

What a cool set of instructions and information!

Did I find a unicorn?

Beretta 1.jpgBeretta 4.jpg

Attachments

• Beretta 6.jpg
    Beretta 6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Beretta 7.jpg
    Beretta 7.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Beretta 8.jpg
    Beretta 8.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
All the original paperwork including Italian and Beretta is included. How did that even happen? We all know ASM allegedly made all of these. Why/how do I have all 3 Italian Proof House cards for this gun?
Not ‘allegedly’, they DID make them for Beretta and more importantly … they them to Beretta’s quality standards!

FWIW I have an original ASM build, which was made from left over parts after the Beretta contract had expired. While ‘nice’, it is not of the same build quality that you have.

Great find! Whereas that one has all those ’extras’, that is likely a Dealer sample and that would make it a unicorn!

Last edited:
I just brought home a Beretta marked O/U percussion shotgun. What was most attractive to me was the complete accessories with it. I have never seen a custom Beretta logoed hard case for these, but this has one with a matching serial #. The case even has 2 keys with matching serial # on a leather Beretta key tag. All the original paperwork including Italian and Beretta is included. How did that even happen? We all know ASM allegedly made all of these. Why/how do I have all 3 Italian Proof House cards for this gun? The Beretta Warranty brochure in the plastic Beretta logo sleeve, and the Si Certifica - Fabbrica D'Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.a. The green Replica Model 1000 instruction manual is included. The accessories include: PB marked power flash, PB marked shot snake and a PB marked brass powder measure (tube). Then there's a wood handled, 3-piece Beretta marked cleaning rod with two brushes, a small plastic Beretta marked sleeve that says "spare" and includes a set of #11 and set of musket cap nipples; a long silver wrench with a open box end an a square opening (for nipples I think) on the other end. Last oddity I identified so far is that these have long been said to weigh 7.5 pounds but this one weighs 6-pounds 12-ounces! The owner had a story to back up some of this, but I cannot verify. He said Don Strum (a well known gun dealer in Missouri from the 70-s to 90's that I happen to have known) imported 300 of these for distribution. The owner says he worked there at the time. He says they received a display model alone in a package with all the stuff I described prior to the main shipment. Don Strum supposedly put this in a glass display case on the floor and arranged a rack on both sides to display some of these that could be handled, while the rest were in the store room for shipping to purchasers. When the main shipment arrived, they were all in cardboard and styrofoam boxes. Allegedly, Don called and carried on about the hard cases, but was told they were lost and later found to have been damaged (he even said there was a rumor they were in a fire during shipping) and the hard cases never showed up. They sold them for $275 each at first! When this man ended his 12-year employment and moved, he asked to buy the display gun and has had it in a safe since. That's his story. If any wants to refute that with some evidence I am all ears. Regardless, I have never seen the hard case with matching serial # keys, and all the PB accessories I have, let alone the extensive serialized paperwork.

Of note is some of the instructions. Regarding load is says: Although suitable for 97.5 US grains FFg and 540 US grains of #7.5 shot for Intl. clay pigeon rules, the gun is designed to function best with 77.2 US grains with the same volume of shot. Charges greater than 5 grams (77.2 US grains) simply puts the gun through a useless battering without improving ballistic performance.

Over powder wads should equal 12mm. 1/2" total height while over shot wads should equal up to 6mm. 1/4"

STEP 1: To load, put hammers down over spent caps

Troubleshooting: If fail to fire, clean nipple hole with a pin, with ramrod press charge again to make sure it is compact.

Disassembly: Remove barrels from stock..., remove nipples with wrench..., unscrew and remove nipple bolster Allen screw...., remove breach plugs with wrench (!)....clean from breach to muzzle..., clean breach plugs, nipples and barrels thoroughly.....

What a cool set of instructions and information!

Did I find a unicorn?

View attachment 340607View attachment 340608
WOW!

Back