• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Additional tips on removing stuck nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie1105

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a Dixie Gun Works JP Murray carbine in .58 caliber that I am having trouble removing the nipple from. I've found the documentation on DGW website that the nipple is 5/16x24 musket cap nipple. I have the appropriate T-style musket nipple wrench. I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to get the nipple removed for cleaning though. The wrench is an extremely tight fit over the square nipple base and has very little clearance in the recession the nipple screws into. I've tried spraying some liquid wrench around the nipple and letting it sit all day. After letting it sit, I tried using the wrench again and gently tapping the wrench handle with a wooden mallet. So far nothing has gotten it to budge. I know I'm probably being timid with the amount of force, but the gun is in great shape and I'd like to keep it that way.

Does anyone have experience with this model firearm? Is there something I am missing? Does DGW use reverse direction threads I'm not aware of? Do I need a different style musket nipple wrench? Or do I just need to man up and use a bit more elbow grease lol?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Try a mix of acetone and ATF for a penetrating oil, give it time to penetrate, and maybe some heat.
Do I need to remove the barrel from the stock to use this? Will it damage the wood or finish? Also is it enough to brush some on there around the nipple or do I need to submerge the rear end & nipple in it?

Heat is your friend but don't over do it also you may have to heat it and let it cool several times and plug the nipple and put the oil inside to soak a few days then try a good wrench Seems it will be 1/4 inch just be patient and try to tighten and loosen it a few times GOOD LUCK

Do I need to remove the barrel from the stock to use this? Will it damage the wood or finish? Also is it enough to brush some on there around the nipple or do I need to submerge the rear end & nipple in it?
I wouldn't get it on the finish of the wood. Just get a drop or 2 on to let it seep into the threads. May need to repeat applications over several days.

Also the Ted Cash nipple wrenchs in my opinion are way better than the T styles.
I looked up the Ted Cash wrench and I don't know if it will have enough clearance to fit on the nipple of this gun. I'm adding some pics of the gun for reference

Attachments

• IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3896.JPG
    IMG_3896.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Couldn't say for sure, I can take any measurements you'd want if that'd help. I assume that's a musket nipple size?
Correct, I believe its a 5/16x24 thread nipple with a 1/4in square lug. The clearance between the nipple and the rear (stock side) of the receiver is what concerns me. I can't really get the T-style wrench on that way.

Yeah I see what you mean, it could be too close. I'd probably try the penetrating oil/time/heat and see how that goes first. I can still measure the Cash socket if you're interested.

Yeah I see what you mean, it could be too close. I'd probably try the penetrating oil/time/heat and see how that goes first. I can still measure the Cash socket if you're interested.
Sounds good. I’ll let it sit longer with the liquir wrench and work on getting some acentone/ATF. I’ve also heard great things about Kroil?

I’d welcome information on the cash wrench. No rush, she’ll be soaking for a few days haha!

Much appreciated!

Hello All,

I have a Dixie Gun Works JP Murray carbine in .58 caliber that I am having trouble removing the nipple from. I've found the documentation on DGW website that the nipple is 5/16x24 musket cap nipple. I have the appropriate T-style musket nipple wrench. I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to get the nipple removed for cleaning though. The wrench is an extremely tight fit over the square nipple base and has very little clearance in the recession the nipple screws into. I've tried spraying some liquid wrench around the nipple and letting it sit all day. After letting it sit, I tried using the wrench again and gently tapping the wrench handle with a wooden mallet. So far nothing has gotten it to budge. I know I'm probably being timid with the amount of force, but the gun is in great shape and I'd like to keep it that way.

Does anyone have experience with this model firearm? Is there something I am missing? Does DGW use reverse direction threads I'm not aware of? Do I need a different style musket nipple wrench? Or do I just need to man up and use a bit more elbow grease lol?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
If you have been using the ATF/Acetone solution as a penetrating oil, you should be ready to try a bit of impact extraction. If the barrel is removed, put the barrel in a padded vise to hold it in place. Set your T-handle wrench on the nipple and with a small hammer, tap the top of the wrench as it is being turned. The vibrations of the tapping as the wrench is turned will often break through the corrosion and loosen the nipple.

Your gun appears to be in excellent condition and well maintained so I would not expect the nipple to be badly seized in. I think, as you mentioned, you are just being too timid. Apply more torque.

Take the advice from above and remove the barrel. You can use painters tape on the barrel if you’re concerned you might scratch it if the wrench slips off.

Latest posts

Back