• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ads Work!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
At the range Sunday I met a nice guy who was shooting some cap and ball pistols.
He mentioned that he couldn't find many places selling powder so I mentioned the Western Nationals were going to be held here in Phoenix this week. He could buy all the powder he needed, taking his choice from GOEX, Schutzen and Swiss (based on what was there last year).

He said he wasn't looking for those powders.
What he wanted was some of that New American Pioneer Powder like Jim Shockey uses.
"You Never Have to Clean Your Gun! :grin: " he says. :hmm: :hmm:

Don't you understand??? He was right. You don't have to clean your gun. Of course you have to buy a new one for every shooting session, but you don't have to clean it.

My brother just got into flintlocks and is using American Pioneer Powder. He said it works great and he was also told that he doesn't have to clean his gun. I told him that not cleaning his gun was probably not a good idea. I'll stick with Goex Black Powder and a good cleaning after shooting my rifle..... :grin:

Ron

Zonie said:

:rotf:

It's amazing how advertising works :bull: :shake:

I think I'll buy stock in AP powder :blah:

HD

Not to get on a rant....Ok, to get on a rant, My father told me when I got my first JC Higgens .22 "You've got to clean it up like new every time you shoot it. If you don't it will go to Hell and you'll never get another one from me."

I took him at his word and I've always cleaned my guns right after I was done shooting them.
I think that is why guns I've had over 45 years look and shoot like new.
I am also always amazed at the horrable condition of many of the guns I see at the local Gun Shows.
Many of them, laying there on the table not only have rusty bores, they haven't been cleaned, ever!

To me, a gun is too valuable an item to neglect that way.

Zonie said:
Not to get on a rant....Ok, to get on a rant, My father told me when I got my first JC Higgens .22 "You've got to clean it up like new every time you shoot it. If you don't it will go to Hell and you'll never get another one from me."

I took him at his word and I've always cleaned my guns right after I was done shooting them.
I think that is why guns I've had over 45 years look and shoot like new.
I am also always amazed at the horrable condition of many of the guns I see at the local Gun Shows.
Many of them, laying there on the table not only have rusty bores, they haven't been cleaned, ever!

To me, a gun is too valuable an item to neglect that way.

I agree 100%.

I completely break down every firearm I have after a day at the range or a day in the field and give them a thorough cleaning. I have a Remington 870 I bought when I was 16 and it still looks like it just came off the store rack.

HD

Zonie: I'm with you. When I was a boy (long, long ago) my grandfather taught me to shoot. He grew up in the black powder era, and just one shot through a .22, even with Kleanbore ammo, and I had to clean it completely. I'm not quite that persnickety about .22's anymore, but the old habit sure came in handy when I got into black powder shooting. graybeard

Zonie said:
What he wanted was some of that New American Pioneer Powder like Jim Shockey uses.

Where's that guy located at, we can pawn off all those brass plated roundballs on him, what an investment that was... :winking: :rotf:

Jim Shockey is just a Big Company Puppet.Whatever he says, it's for money and nothing else!

Musketman said:
Zonie said:

Where's that guy located at, we can pawn off all those brass plated roundballs on him, what an investment that was... :winking: :rotf:

Maybe I can sell him some water rights in Lake Erie?

What a doofus!

Latest posts

Back