• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

advice needed CVA Mountain Rifle .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a 54 Cva mountain rifle,I have not seen the rifle first hand but the seller sent me some pictures.The rifle is new in the box,it is made in Spain,the barrel is blued,the trigger guard and but plate appear to be made of aluminium,the stock looks real good.He wants $450 for it .what think you.thx d

Let's see the pics if ya can post them. Kinda hard to give an educated opinion without as many of the facts as possible. I have a 45 cal MR but gave nowhere near $450 for it . . . But then again it wasn't anywhere near NIB, either. :wink:

Too much IMHO. Quality of these guns varied dramatically depending on when it was made and by whom. I have a kit for one in my basement where it has laid for 26 + years because I lost interest in it after fiddling around with it for awhile. The tumbler broke on the lock right away - just broke due to poor casting or machining - and I could not find another. Some small parts may be aluminum. The butt plate and trigger guard should not be. There is one currently for sale on Gun Broker for $300. Don't think there have been any takers. The guns look good when well-built and properly finished but I do not know how they shoot with the Spanish barrels.

If you cannot buy it with the possibility of returning it if not satisfied then I would give it a lot of careful thought before laying out $450.

In my opinion that is about the top end of the price range on them, BUT if you want one and want a really nice one it is not out of sight. Recently paid $325 for a used one in .54 that I think was a kit gun and just paid $350 for a .58 that is definitely a kit gun. While the quality may or may not vary, I have hardly ever heard of one that was not accurate. I have several early CVA's and am pleased with them all. There may be a better deal out there but new in the box is not easy to find.

the nose cap, trigger guard and butt plate could be german Silver.

they interchanged that and brass.
But only you can determine the value to you.
Would be best if you could see it first hand and shoot it.

The .54 was one of the less common calibers offered and bnib is pretty tempting.. you know for 100 less you'd jump on it, its just justifying that last little bit...been there many times :hmm:

One of the spanish CVA MT. Rifles i had was a late 80's gun that had a gorgeous walnut stock, was different from any other i've seen...if it had been brand new i could see it going for 450.00. It had a lightweight cast aluminum triggerguard and buttplate. The nose cap was of a different material but an alloy.
While of lighter weight than my older Mt rifles, the rifle was a beauty and had the lines of the original design, materials used were quite a bit different though. From your description, almost sounds like it may be a rifle similar to that one you've found.

If you like it, buy it. The look of the stock is what determines the prices. The plain maple stocks command nowhere near as much as tiger or bird's eye curly maple. A great finish will garner even more dollars for the seller. They are very accurate.

The quotes being given are for used guns. When you say it is NEW, IN THE BOX- you mean it has never been fired?

crockett said:
The quotes being given are for used guns. When you say it is NEW, IN THE BOX- you mean it has never been fired?
Yeah, I noticed that too,
Tuff call. I'd of course try to dicker him down,, but a NIB 54 "Big Bore",, that is a rare one indeed?

but a NIB 54 "Big Bore",, that is a rare one indeed?

If I didnt have 3 .58's and/or if I had the cash available I would pay it! Missed out on a used one for $250.00 last summer at a pawn shop out of town, came back the next week with a patch n jag to check for bulges and "poof" it was gone :td:

I want to thank everyone for the excellent advice that I have received here about the CVA rifle.The young man who owns it thinks that it is worth the asking price because it is new in box.I have not tried to low ball him and I will not.Thanks..d

I wouldn't think waving four crisp hundred dollar bills in his face would be low balling?? Its the right time of year for that to get ya a nice new Mnt rifle? :idunno:

In my neck of the woods 450 is really high..NIB or not. I see them for sale on my local Armslist for around 250 here and there. I purchased one at my local gunshow two years ago for 100, buddy needed it so I sold it to him for the same I paid.
Also would never consider offering a little less and getting a better deal "low balling". Thats just plain ol' DICKERING.. :grin:

Me NEITHER. = 300.ooUSD would be TOPS, especially with all that aluminum junk as "trim".

I have a .58 built from a kit that has a BEAUTIFUL hunk of birdseye maple for a stock & I paid 275.oo for mine OTD.

yours, satx

I too would like to see the pics, it really doesn't sound like a Big Bore CVA Mountain Rifle, what with the blued finish and aluminum castings.

dave524 said:
it really doesn't sound like a Big Bore CVA Mountain Rifle, what with the blued finish and aluminum castings.

Late '80s MR and into the 1990s they did sport blued barrels. Some years they had walnut stocks. The MR is not in the 1985 catalog but was a special, limited edition in the 1990 and 1999 catalogs.

In a few days I'll have '84, '88 and the '91 catalogs and might be able to shed some more light on the aluminum hardware. This post is the first time I've heard of such.

Latest posts

Back