• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, safety isn't really any more of an issue with a flintlock, or I've never felt it. Although, did cut myself nasty on a sharp flint in woods battle exercise at Brigade School of the Soldier one year... My girlfriend laughed at me, thought it shoulda happened alot sooner, thought it was cool, and all the blood on my hunting frock made it look even better. So much for a little sympathy! I still bear the scar, literally and figuratively...

:_(

nmalone said:
Thanks for any input.

:2 Rifles are like beef, hamburger is absolutely fine. But it ain't steak. I think you could get your self a pawn shop (hamburger) Rifle. TC, Lyman To learn on & while shooting you can get a better Idea what steak you want.

" I've talked to plenty of flintlock shooters with injuries from exploding powder and such so I want to be as safe as possible too."

I'm carful, I use good equipment, Don't push load limits, & try vary hard not to get distracted during loading. Beyond that :idunno: millions of guys over hundreds of years made war with flintlocks. I missed the part where armies lost a bunch of guys every battle because the flintlock was inherently unsafe. Like all firearms lose your respect for it & the price can be steep.

I just started shooting flint quit a bit, I just think "front sight, front sight, front sight," work on keeping my point of aim and I honestly can't remember noticing the pan flash :idunno:

Besses did make it in to the mountians, or at least into the west beyond the pale. Lisa carried a bess in the very eary westren fur trade, and besses continued to be found out west through the fur trade era. A true repo bess will be a might dear, a General bess wont be the most perfect but is servacible and most of us can be forgiving of very minor inaccuricies.
You biggest problem is them big balls.11 to the pound. A .62 trade gun was used for certian out west and you get twice as many shots per pound,and you can get them in caliburs as small as 32 to the pound. A rifled barrel can get bought for a trade gun. Its not correct but you have to get close to see it. A kit or simi custum rife is the only way you can get a correct or nearly correct rife for the time.
If you are just starting with rock locks the big military or trade gun locks are eaiser to get to work for you.

I like the Brown Bess, you could do a lot worse. They are a blast. :)

William Alexander

Back