• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice taken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote in asking about different style rifles for hunting. I appreciate all the advice I received and for the most part it was the same, if you can afford it, get the Great Plains Hunter. So I thought and thought and thought about it. Then I told my wife, "everybody" I talked to set get the great plains rifle. Well, three days ago, my new Great Plains showed up in the mail. I've cleaned it, shot it, cleaned it, shot it and cleaned it some more and now I have to take a break becuase my shoulder is a little sore. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. The rifle is very accurate and I don't mind packing around the extra weight. Thanks again.

Justin

Cool!- way to go Justin! I'm sure you'll get to like it more and more as time goes by. It will continue to improve in accuracy as your loading becomes identical each time. 50% of a BP rifle's accuracy is in the loading.

Did you get the "hunter" with conical twist? or the RB barrel?....I do not recall a overwhelming wave of support for the modern bullet shootin one... just curious...what part of Oregon are you in Justin.

Glad to hear you like your GPR, it's a good choice.
I love mine and I shoot at least 50 shots a week out of it.
Hope you kill a wall hanger with it this season.

Huntin

The more you shoot it, the more you will like it. My 54 arrived too late for deer last fall, but over the winter it harvested a bushel of snowshoe hares. Really accurate with light loads (30 gn FFF w/ PRB), as well as heavy loads (100 gn FFF w/ PRB) and everything in between. I may have to go with the receiver sight on account of my eyes, but that's no reflection on the rifle.

By the way of a side note, at first it wanted the .530 ball with either a .015 or .018 patch, and I had to really work to get the .535 seated with anything heavier than the .010. After several hundred rounds, it now seems to prefer the .535 and a .015 patch. Still not as easy to seat, but well within reason, even for hunting loads.

To date I have put a little over 800 balls through it by actual count, and it just keeps getting better.

"...To date I have put a little over 800 balls through it by actual count, and it just keeps getting better. "

Now how many people who just bought a brand new .300 Super Short MaxiMag rifle do you know who can say they went out and put 800 rounds thru it?

Black Powder Shooting! How can you not love it!!! :) :)

"...To date I have put a little over 800 balls through it by actual count, and it just keeps getting better. "

Now how many people who just bought a brand new .300 Super Short MaxiMag rifle do you know who can say they went out and put 800 rounds thru it?
Black Powder Shooting! How can you not love it!!! :) :)

Well said Zonie!
I never actualy thought of it in those terms, but you are right on the money! 800 rounds may well represent the life of that gun. I own a .338 Win Mag, had it for about 20 years, I would swear there has been less than 20 rounds fired through it. The other eight, or so, smokeless powder guns pretty much share this NO SHOOT status, since I rediscovered Muzzleloading. I own six Black Powder Muzzle loaders, none of them have less than 1,000 rounds through each of them, with but one exception, and that is my new (new to me) Smoothbore, but the way I've been going it's going reach the 1,000 mark by November...or, this year for sure.
I especially like the part where "and it just keeps getting better"!
Yes Sir! Give me a Amen Brother!
Russ

Latest posts

Back