• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Afraid of the dark? I am!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
this is why i dont step outside at night without a good light and some heavy artillery on my side. i got a small hog yesterday morning about a 100# then right before dark a big black swamp monster appeared from nowhere, one second all you could hear were the night birds starting to chirp and wood ducks calling to each other. then i heard just a little water step then a couple leaves crunch and when i turned around all i could say was holy manure. he stood there letting the swamp water drip as he sniffed the air, i dont know if he was smelling me or the scent of the small hog i got that morning. i let him come up the hill closer to my atv trail because i knew there was no way i would be able to drag him. one more step and boom, all i could see was fire from the muzzle blast and the sound from the 54 blast was deafening. when every thing cleared he was laying on his side with blood trickling out of his neck. i was so sure of the shot there was no need to reload but you can bet your last dollar i did before i got out of my tree(i think i got at least a little powder in the barrel). it took me some time to get him back to the house and all i wanted was to take a good hot bath eat supper and go to bed. am waiting till daylight to get some good pictures. so check back in a few hours to see what critters call my swamp home. it was a 25 yard shot, 80grs ffg and a prb out of the .54 t/c hawken, i couldnt see if i made a pass through shot cause i couldnt flip him over. when i get him hung up this morning i will be able to see. just guessing but he looks like he is a solid 300# or more.

DSCN1648_zps567c7047.jpg
[/URL][/img]

DSCN1658_zpsad4033d1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Congrats! What time do we all show up for the BBQ? And what do we need to bring, besides a .54 in case another interrupts the party?

i reckon most critters get a winter coat but thickness of the hair has a lot to do with the breed. some have more Russian in their bloodline and they have a thicker coat. the hair on the smaller hog is thicker and longer than the big one. the bigger the boar is the thicker the hide thats for sure. both had hardly any fat at all but the hide and gristle on the big one is an inch thick on the back of its neck. my shot hit him in the middle between his ear and shoulder, a perfect spine hit. the ball took out a two fist size chunk of spine and the biggest piece of lead looked like a little wad of chewing gum. had the ball hit the shoulder i dont think he would have been there when the smoke cleared. i loaded him in the back of my pickup this morning and took him down to our little country store, they always have a big buck contest and they have a pole where you can weigh your deer, he weighed 365 pounds on the hoof. i took a picture of him laying on the tailgate you can really see how thick he is. i will try and post it later if i can its on my cell phone.

one of my buddies that i let hunt out here seen one the first week in oct. he said it was white and black and looked like a farm raised hog except it had a snoot that looked a foot long. he said he could see tusk sticking out the side of its mouth. i think thats the critters that have been ripping the big gouges in the trees, it sure looks like tusks marks.

That one for sure has Russian blood,,,nice catch there,plenty to eat for sure. :wink:

Back