• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging brass?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRAJOE

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyway to speed along the patina of brass?

Either my T/C Hawken that I got at a gunshow for $200 is fairly new, or the previous owner polished the brass (I'm thinking its fairly new due to its condition)

Is there a method to age the brass quicker other than general use/time?

Thanks... :hatsoff:

Shoot the gun, wipe your black cleaning patches all over the brass after you clean it. Works like a charm. :thumbsup:

I couldn't keep my brass shiny for the life of me if I wanted too. It patinas pretty fast on it's own. The black powder residue ages it quick. Wiping some of it on the brass and letting it sit a while will give it a nice aged look. I've tried using cold blue on brass in the past and always got a nasty looking bluing tinge.

Ammonia fumes will age brass as well, but it will take about one to two weeks to do so, the brass must be suspended above the ammonia and then sealed off in an air tight container.

Dixie Gun Works once sold a "Brass Black" by Birchwood Casey I have not bought any for a few years because it goes a long way. You might try them.

Plink said:
I've tried using cold blue on brass in the past and always got a nasty looking bluing tinge.

Tried it last night....looks horrible...I'll try other methods...thanks all.... :hatsoff:

I found a quick and easy way to age brass by taking a coffee can, pour about a half inch of regular hosehold ammonia in the can, poke a hole in the lid and suspend the brass piece by a wire thru the hole in the lid, place the lid back on the can and heat the can at the liquid level with a blow dryer (creates more vapors) for a couple of minutes. If it's not aged enough, just do it some more until you're satisfied and if you over do it, you can buff it out and start all over, just not for as long. Oh and make sure your brass piece does'nt touch the liquid ammonia. Good luck.

Back