• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ahm a Pyrodex Man....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
58 caliber smoothbore round barrel half stock percussion stocked in pretty Missouri Walnut. Wood has burl and feathering. Hopefully, it still will after it is carved out. So far it is just the plank. Was gonna go fullstock, but the wood will not let me get that much out of it. Have a pistol barrel just like it made up to make a matching pistol. If all works out well, I have a second set of barrels to do the same in flint. As soon as it warms up, hopefully tomorrow, I will be working on the barrel for the halfstock.

Runner, sounds like it will be a nice looking rifle. Just curious, but what made you go with a smooth bore rather than a rifled and why the 58? Thats a small cannon!!

PYRODEX RECOMMENDS A DROP OF 30% FROM RS TO P.

I switch between the two all the time in .50 and .54. P is much better for small game and target shooting.

One gun solution from dove to bison! Caplock on the first one because of the powder situation here. I have a 12 guage with choke tubes and another barrel in 50 caliber. The chokes are not PC. I can't shoot roundball out of it because of them. If you want to switch, you have to shoot the barrel you are taking off and load the other one, leaving you two clean up jobs at the end of the day. The smoothbore is just a simple solution to many problems that is semi PC. Not sure there was ever one like this one will be when it is done, but semi PC anyway. 30 inch short barrel/halfstock/shotgun lock/shotgun style 58 smoothbore.

Sounds really interesting Runner, can you post some pictures of it when you're finished. I'd really be interested in seeing it!

roundball said:
john12865 said:
It's no harder to clean up your gun using BP then Pyrodex.
AMEN !!!!!!!!!

There is so much mis-leading information spewed out about muzzleloading, powders, lubes, cleaning, etc, that it's incredible...and then it's a whole 'nuther discussion whether it's intentional or out of ignorance...mostly just ignorance or the sheep-following-sheep thing...it's amazing the number of people who read things on the Internet somewhere, then go around repeating them for the next couple of years without a grain of personal knowledge or hands on experience to know first hand if it's true... :shocked2:

People hate it when you tell the truth. But it's the truth.:grin:

Charles/NM said:
"Does any serious muzzleloader go beyond five shots without swabbing a bore?"
Apparently a lot of us do. I did a short test to see the difference between brushing and swabing my rifles bore and shooting without cleaning when shooting MaxiBall bullets. My rifle was more accurate when I didn't clean between shots. I didn't try the same test with patched round balls. Again, that's with my particular rifle. I shoot a 1970s vintage .50 caliber T/C Hawken that I bought new.

Because your shooting bullets and not patched ball. :grin:

Latest posts

Back