• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one hording.....?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a round about way the Hazmat charges have made me better prepaired. It is hard to find black powder in our area so I ordered bulk a while back and got a bunch of Magnum Caps as well. Geo. T.

I am not a hoarder----(I don't think)--BUT I do have enough stuff to last me all my days.

IMO, if you stock up when there is not a shortage (no matter what the item is) you are not hoarding. You actually help relieve pressure when there is a shortage by not being one of the people running around grabbing anything they can. Hoarding is when there is a shortage and people who failed to plan (which is really planning to fail) panic and buy everything they can get their hands on even if they don't really need it. This only causes the shortage to last longer.

I have 5 lbs or a little more of Goex, about 500lbs of lead ( need a 54 cal mould though, anyone wanna trade for a 45 cal mould?.. :grin:) and around 3000 caps. Kinda going along with all that...I also have about 12 cases of M.R.E. and about 200lbs of dry rice. Also have alot more non-perishable food items in my root cellar.
I don't consider it hoarding at all, just being prepared ( like Cynthialee said)
:v

pab1 said:
IMO, if you stock up when there is not a shortage (no matter what the item is) you are not hoarding. You actually help relieve pressure when there is a shortage by not being one of the people running around grabbing anything they can. Hoarding is when there is a shortage and people who failed to plan (which is really planning to fail) panic and buy everything they can get their hands on even if they don't really need it. This only causes the shortage to last longer.
Thank you!

This is what I have been trying to figure out how to say all day since I first saw this thread.

I don't hoard. I have 1,500 pounds of lead, 30 pounds of powder and a couple of hundred flints because I need them. :grin:

Many Klatch

Cynthialee said:
pab1 said:
Thank you!

This is what I have been trying to figure out how to say all day since I first saw this thread.
Yeah, and threads like this only fan the flames.
It's really simple, all the companies that make all our stuff, are very busy making stuff for the center fire panic going on now.
Just take a serious look at what you have and what you'll need in the near future and relax.

orion52 said:
What are you all doing? Am I the only one that is foraging and scrounging, or is it commonplace?

Living at the end of the supply chain for the last 40 years, I've always been a "hoarder," though I think it's more a case of STORING. Buy whatever when you can get it, then store it for the times when the supply chain is broken. And sitting on a rock in the ocean, it breaks a lot.

Sure I have a bunch of caps now and a pretty good supply of powder. But that's the stuff I hafta buy.

Another face of overcoming shortages is making whatever you can yourself. I get a personal pride out of hunting with as much stuff as possible that I've made myself. Last time out with a flinter the only thing storebought was the powder. Last time with a capper it was caps and powder. Everything else came from my own hands. Ain't too afraid of anyone cutting those off. :rotf:

I am always a buyer, when I can go to a garage sale or auction and see it for less than I can buy it from any store. Garage sales are a great place to buy, now that in-lines are the rage.

I am working on a nitre bed. Can't get much more traditional than that. :grin: I make my own flints and cast my own balls. No need to hoard if you are self sufficient.

You need more powder as the caps you have makes you powder charge 12 grains! Pretty lite. Geo. T. :grin:

good thing about flintlocks... we are never going to run outa sharp rocks.

i have about 400 caps for my 50 cal rifle and maby 80 pounds of good soft lead. i am running low on powder though... its coming time to make another bulk powder order just need to scrape some $$ together..

-matt

Grullaguy said:
I am working on a nitre bed. Can't get much more traditional than that...
That's what I tell my wife too.
Every night when nature calls I go out into the back yard and make my contribution to it.

So far it hasn't produced much but at least the weeds aren't growing too thick in it. :rotf:

(Just funnin with you. :grin: )

Back