• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for carving on a rifle stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both plain and carved. They're all hunting guns. I just finished assembling a Kibler Colonial which included carving because it seemed appropriate for the style. My carving is simple (due to carving skills) but tasteful. It took a lot of extra time, but I anticipated that when I bought the kit. Since I don't build rifles for sale, this was just for personal satisfaction. It will be used this deer season.

I like to use my guns, and sometimes when out in the woods things happen. I have tripped, I have dropped it,and how mant have stood it up leaning against a tree? Plain stock is easier to patch and refinish.

I like well done hand carving but to be honest, I do not care much for the CNC carving.
I agree. A rifle with machine carving (let's assume it's a Kibler) is not unique or custom in the sense of "special" because others are just like it, while hand carving is one of a kind even if the pattern is basically the same. I guess paying for ANY carving is vanity, and if I want to be vain about my gun, I prefer total vanity knowing the carving is indeed special.
Good grief, that sounds like a VP's word salad. But maybe you see what I mean.

Back