• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for carving on a rifle stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both plain and carved. They're all hunting guns. I just finished assembling a Kibler Colonial which included carving because it seemed appropriate for the style. My carving is simple (due to carving skills) but tasteful. It took a lot of extra time, but I anticipated that when I bought the kit. Since I don't build rifles for sale, this was just for personal satisfaction. It will be used this deer season.

I like to use my guns, and sometimes when out in the woods things happen. I have tripped, I have dropped it,and how mant have stood it up leaning against a tree? Plain stock is easier to patch and refinish.

I like well done hand carving but to be honest, I do not care much for the CNC carving.
I agree. A rifle with machine carving (let's assume it's a Kibler) is not unique or custom in the sense of "special" because others are just like it, while hand carving is one of a kind even if the pattern is basically the same. I guess paying for ANY carving is vanity, and if I want to be vain about my gun, I prefer total vanity knowing the carving is indeed special.
Good grief, that sounds like a VP's word salad. But maybe you see what I mean.

Yeah, this Jaeger is a little over the top …

IMG_1303.jpeg
dang I like 👍 that

Why did the old masters even carve rifles and do so at such high a high level? Perhaps it was because the rifles they built were an expression of their dedication to the craft. These rifles differed by builder and region but combined form and proportion that represented state of the art at that time. Carving was a given part of the total product. These guns were both utilitarian and art forms that were expected to give a lifetime of performance under often severe conditions. Some degree of carving today is just an acknowledgement of and tribute to the old masters. I don't consider it frill or vanity.

I agree. A rifle with machine carving (let's assume it's a Kibler) is not unique or custom in the sense of "special" because others are just like it, while hand carving is one of a kind even if the pattern is basically the same. I guess paying for ANY carving is vanity, and if I want to be vain about my gun, I prefer total vanity knowing the carving is indeed special.
Good grief, that sounds like a VP's word salad. But maybe you see what I mean.
Yes, I know what you mean. I enjoy the challenge and the resulting vanity. The carving of the stock, is after all, the carving of the stock.... and being unburdened by what has been....

This was my second attempt.

1728500672489.jpeg
1728500698816.jpeg

Now ... how 'bouts just with an inlay and silver wire? Rifle #364 by Mike Brooks, a 50-cal Moravian, in the tradition of Christian Oerter.

View attachment 354044

View attachment 354045

View attachment 354046

View attachment 354048

View attachment 354047
I especially like the finish on this rifle, the wood, and brass. The brass doesn't look artificially aged, like a lot of new stuff on here these days. Mike, how did you do that, or is it just time and nature?

You have to remember that most of these old gunsmiths served as apprentices to master gunsmiths for years, learning their trade. They weren't born knowing how to carve and engrave.

American rifles cr 1750-1800 typically had some sort of carving. I can’t do it, so all I have on my Lancaster is some raised molding and cuts in the cheak plate. That’s historically incorrect for my style gun. But for me better none and incorrect, then garbage I would get if attempted

Well - sometimes , some tasteful decoration can REALLY look good , like on this Gastinne Renette in my small , poor collection , ( which is a perfect shooter )

IMG_20230110_235716.jpg

BUT - my favorite target pistol ( for the moment ) is this : my absolutely plain and completely selfbuilt tackdriver :

IMG_20240527_092509.jpg

or , these , also homemade , hand mortars :

Unterhammer.jpg

The only thing that counts , in my opinion :
what/however it looks like or is decorated is : YOU have to like it , and if it not doesen't only shoot , but also hits - what the hell !

Back