• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for carving on a rifle stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now ... how 'bouts just with an inlay and silver wire? Rifle #364 by Mike Brooks, a 50-cal Moravian, in the tradition of Christian Oerter.

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_2652.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2662.jpeg

Do i like carving & inlaying, yes to look at. I have a distaste for a patchbox of any kind. I don't want any of those on my rifle. I can enjoy admiring them on another persons rifle,Fowler,Trade Gun. I don't even like a cheek rest. I have 2 rifles with those patchboxes & both are factory. The T/C Hawken .45 & my Traditions Woodsman.

I like inlay.but hate patch or cap boxes,my TC Hawken has the box since it is a factory gun,I very well may be wrong but call the box on my Hawken a cap box due to the small size.If wrong somebody let me know so I do not look like a fool

I put together a Woodsrunner kit a few months back. I ordered it with a carved cherry stock.
I have 7 muzzle loaders and it is the only one with carving on it.
I expected to be really thrilled with it but I just seem to like the plain stocks better.

Thanks to Bree at Kibler’s for finding me a Cherry stock with burl in it and it is on the way.

I
thanks for pics.my answer is that I love them all as long as it shoots. I only own percusion muzzleloaders and if I buy it and it shoots,nipples come out easily, and accurate. I'm happy.im going be honest about this too.i don't own a flintlock at all. lol think I will leave them for you guys to own. I know my limitations. but I've shot some. I enjoyed them very much. the flash the first time I shot one made me flinch lol. yaw are some good people on here.

There is a fine line between elegant and over the top. I see some rifles that have so many inlays it looked like my local tattoo artist. I like a few tastefully done carvings and engraving. Although I have a rifle with tons of inlays, carving and wire work its not my favorite cosmetically, but it is a shooter. It doesn't really fit my persona as a free trapper. But I do appreciate the hard work that went into the rifle. I am more into a well-fitting, reliable rifle. I prefer steel over brass but that's my taste, the brass furniture fixed rifles I have are all aged dull brass, defiantly not into bright shiny things. Give me a mid-grade maple or walnut stock, browned steel, simple patchbox, and maybe some simple carving or not and I am happy. Now if my persona was a rich plantation owner or distinguished gentleman than I'd carry the perty rifle. But its not my thing or who I would want to be.

Back