• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Amateur question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claywms

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks. A real amateur question here. I just purchased an Investarm/Cabelas Hawken and could find nothing in the literature that explains how the double triggers work. Could someone enlighten me? I also see a small screw between the triggers, which I assume is for adjustment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie.

Typically the rear trigger sets the front trigger, you then use the front trigger to fire the muzzleloader. The set screw will "lighten" the front trigger, depending on the quality of the triggers you can lighten it down to ounces of pull to fire.
Hope this helps.

Pull the rear trigger to Set the front trigger so you have a real light trigger pull. Screw the adjustment screw between the triggers in to take more free travel out of the front trigger and back it out to increase the free travel. Do not dry fire with the hammer at half cock, you can break the sear that way. Either leave the hammer all the way down, or put a faucet washer over the nipple to prevent the hammer from damaging it while dry firing.

Thanks for the replies. So, I cock the hammer to full cock, pull the rear trigger to "set" the front trigger, then fire with the front trigger. Sound right?

Should the rear (set) trigger only be used at full cock?

BTW, this is a flintlock, so no nipple is involved. If dryfiring should I replace the flint with something like a piece of wood and just let it hit the frizzen?

You don't have to have the lock cocked to adjust your set trigger. Just turn the screw until it get light enough for you. When the front trigger trips it will just click. I would try it with the rifle in whatever position you will be shooting to get the feel. The trigger mechanism will work independently from the lock mechanism.

Yes, the sequence in actual firing is cock the lock, shoulder the rifle, set the rear trigger, fire the front trigger.

Warning. When hunting or shouldering the rifle, line it up with the target before setting the trigger and don't put your finger on the front trigger until you are lined up on the target and ready to fire. The light ones can go off too easily when the adrenalin is pumping.

Ok sorry for the confusion. Yep with a flinter remove the flint and use a piece of hardwood or one of those pink pencil erasers. Just cut it the size you need. Pull rear trigger to set, pull front trigger to fire.

cj-

on some, but not all, of these arrangements, you can use the front triggerto fire the lock. it will be, of course, a much heavier pull that if you had set the mechanism with the rear trigger. i believe that this will give you an added margin of safety for hunting.

give it a try, and if you don't like it, just don't do it.

watch the set trigger if used for hunting. the deer will laugh when you rip up the ground about 15 feet in front of them. don't ask how i know, but set triggers and gloves don't mix.

Hi C.J. Williams,

You can usually use the set trigger at either the half-cock (safe position) or the full cock position. The set trigger will not engage until you have reached at least half-cock. You will have to pull the cock all the way back to the full cock position before it will be ready to fire.

The rifle should fire just fine without using the set trigger, but the pull on the front trigger may be very heavy without it. Using the set trigger will make the front trigger a very light pull. That light pull is great for target shooting (especially from a rest) or hunting where you have time to set up and take the shot. I certainly wouldn't recommend walking around with gun at full cock after pulling on the set trigger. Any little thing will make it release. Deer do seem to find that a bit humorous...

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

What makes you guys so sure the deer find those accidental misses humerous? :confused: Two seasons ago a gloved finger fired my flintlock before I was ready :redface: and I believe that deer still is running. He sure didn't stick around to snicker at me. graybeard

Hi CJ,
not to beat a dead horse here, but really do not set the rear trigger until you are "on target". I know one doe is still laughing three years after the fact. Due entirely to my own hurried set it by feel method. I tried to cock the rifle, and set the rear trigger as I brought the gun to my shoulder. Trouble was I was on the front trigger, and when the gun went boom the doe just stood there looking at me 'til I ran at her.

Keith

Do the high dollar custom guns have better set triggers than the TC Hawken? I have two of the Hawkens and the unset triggers are terrible.

As a rule you get what you pay for. And a set of Walter Cain triggers, for example, are well worth the little extra you pay for them.

The unset triggers are usually heavier than a nice handmade single trigger because the set triggers are designed to work best in set mode not the single trigger mode. The ergonomics and mechanical advantage just isn't there. You need some clearance to allow the rear trigger to fly up and trip the sear by inertia. It will trip the sear in the manual mode but not too easily.

A single trigger is designed and pivot pointed for the most mechanical advantage and least movement to trip the sear.

I have some modern double set triggers (Steyr Mannlicher) that work very well both set and unset. That information may not be pertinent to this discussion. I have used single sets (Kepplinger) as well. Do any period flintlock rifles use the single set trigger mechanism?

Back