• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An American Percussion Long Rifle That Has Been In My Family for Many Generations Possibly by John Hinds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, 1840 1850, may be an. earlier barrel used. A good honest old rifle, to be treasured, I would take her out and make meat with her again. Lovely having the family provenance, if only these old girls could speak. Suspect a replacement lock, at some time. She looks like she should handle well.

Great story, great conversation thank you.
Old family stories are far better when you can still show the house and the very gun (or scar - hold my beer would you?) of which you are talking!

Our equivalent family muzzleloader 'The Blunderbus' was taken apart to 'restore' by the youngest brother, then he went off for military service about 1956; when he came back the car he thought he had left it in had been sold. My Dad was the one who cleaned the vehicle out for sale and said he was quite sure it wan't there. Uncle drew the rifle from memory and it was clearly a short rifle musket like an 1861 Enfield artillery carbine, and he owned an Italian copy in later life. It would not have been in good condition, it was a toy for the kids and they used to dryfire gravelstones on the nipple.

As for this:
I guess you've never been to England, right? :) Our local pub opened its doors to passing trade in 1684, the bridge I use to cross into the other half of the village was built from church tithes in the early 13th C and our local church, which dates from the late 900s, had a new spire in 1460....
Never mind, matey. It will be old one day. ;-)

Latest posts

Back