• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An interesting 32 caliber deer hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, great video of your setup and hunt! We have a .40cal minimum for deer here in OR but, wish I could try that with my .32 Crockett!

I have an uncle that used to take whitetails with 22RF shorts. Also believe 22RF rounds were one of the poacher’s favorite rounds.

Personally, have shot enough 32 muzzleloader rounds to come to the opinion that unless one were in a survival situation, there are many larger calibers that are much better choices for hunting whitetails and other larger critters. But if legal, to each their own.

The .32 Crockett and paper patched bullet did its job and is no doubt accurate. Expansion looks good as well. Although legal here, it definitely would not be my choice of ML deer tool, but it no doubt works nonetheless.

I would use a 32 with a bullet without any concerns. Not sure about his bullet weight but probably approaching or even surpassing 30-30?

Due to the lack of expansion and penetration of a .32, I won't deer hunt with anything smaller than a .45. PRBs are not the best game getters with larger game and I need some kind of a blood trail to recover one.

Due to the lack of expansion and penetration of a .32, I won't deer hunt with anything smaller than a .45. PRBs are not the best game getters with larger game and I need some kind of a blood trail to recover one.
He's not shooting balls.

While I would not be concerned about it, it's not legal in my state. Muste be a minimum 40 cal and minimum 170 grain projectile for deer

I can understand that. Not my choice either.

However, as Longcruise stated, and if you watch the video, the man is using paper patched bullets. Good expansion has been shown as well as great accuracy.

The main reasons why I wouldn't want to use my .32 Crockett for deer is, I have larger calibers for deer. Also, in this neck of the woods its steep and thick. Therefore, a longer tracking job and/or drag out is not on my list of favorite things to do.

I have some Maxi Balls for my Crockett. Haven't fired any yet but its on my to do list. I am confident that with a well placed hit it will kill deer.

In flatter and more open hunting grounds, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

With that said, one thing that really stands out with that guys setup is the tang sight and front sight. I need to look more into those.

With that said, one thing that really stands out with that guys setup is the tang sight and front sight. I need to look more into those.

I used that type of sight setup on a hog hunt. I was surprised to find that with just very early fading light the whole sight picture would swim like I was looking into a pool of wavy water.

It must have been due to my eye sight.

My internet connection is so slow that I can't load many videos so I didn't watch the video.

However, even though modern bullets and sabots are anathema on the forum, I wonder how effective a short, saboted modern bullet would do in the same situation. :dunno:

I used that type of sight setup on a hog hunt. I was surprised to find that with just very early fading light the whole sight picture would swim like I was looking into a pool of wavy water.

It must have been due to my eye sight.
I purchased one of those years ago for my New Englander but after installing it I knew it was not going to work in lower light conditions and/or in shadows. I didn't think to perhaps drill it out so I exchanged it for a TC peep, which I love. I'm now thinking that with the proper size hole drilled in the disc it might make a good hunting peep for my Crockett.

He's not shooting balls.

While I would not be concerned about it, it's not legal in my state. Muste be a minimum 40 cal and minimum 170 grain projectile for deer
.36 is the bottom limit here in Tennessee. Was .32 a few years back. .45 is my bottom limit. Although when we get to the January land owner doe season I'm considering trying my .40. probably won't, but it would be nice to know how well it does.

Another factor to consider is the hunt location. The further south go the smaller the deer get as they don’t need the muscle mass to get through the harsher winters we have up north.

Bob

Back