• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An IX/XIII and similar .69 flintlock gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Do you have some ideas and tips about these weapons? I mean (in)accuracy, powderload (i have read about 25-35grs), distance for "target shooting", using papercatridge, what about FFg powder in these gun etc...

If your talking about the French #9..I just made one but in 62 cal. But a while back i made a
Miquelet in 62 and use paper cartridges with 25
and 30 gr of ff. Shot beautiful..More than that in
the Miquelet would hurt because the cock bridle
returns into the top of your trigger finger.At 30
yards they are right on and that is with only a
front sight.I will be shooting the #9 very shortly

I have a pair of Tower flintlock pistols. One is a .64 caliber and the other is a .66 caliber. Both are smoothbore. At 15 yards I can keep the balls in a 18" diameter circle with a two hand hold. They seem to be better suited to using buck and ball or buckshot.

Many Klatch

btw. i have read that service load for An XIII and IX during napoleonic wars was 7.52g (116grains)...
i think that very similar load can be 40-50grs of modern FFg powder...

French used 12g(185grains) of powder for their musket ... info via french napoleonic reglement

btw.for brownbess was service load about 200-220 grains, during seven years war...

it is olny about quality of powder...

I use to shoot my "ANXIII" with a patched 675 round ball and 2g of french "PNF2"

sorry, I don't know how much "grains" that means, I'll try to find if there's an american powder that looks like "PNF2"

15m is a maximum range for that pistol and you'll need a lot of practice to have a result on the target

these were cavalry pistols, made for close-range without aiming

the big lock with heavy hammer and powerful springs won't allow you to make great scores but it's a lot of fun to master such a weapon

(feel free to correct my mistakes :redface: )

I've read on some french forum that "masters" of this weapon could hit target (gong) 20x40cm from 20meters in 80% of shots, but i dont know, where they obtained this information...

maybe.....but I'v never seen such a "master-shooter" at work.....

if the "AN"IX or "AN" XIII (or even the "1777") pistols are very difficult to shoot accuratly, the long guns of the same breed are much more accurate and can make nice groups up to 50m (just my own experience)

by the way "AN IX" means "year 9" (according to the french revolutionnary calendar used at the time)

Back