• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An "off-day" on squirrel practice...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Had not shot for a month due to various issues all month long...finally got out yesterday to see if the squirrel load POI would still be the same at 30yds as it was at 25...and while elevation was still the same, I turned in a very so-so showing as the 2" am point sticker on the small dessert plate shows.

The good news is I learned something about this .40cal which is that its sights are true and its so fast it prints exactly whereever I've let the sights wander to when the sear trips...LOL.
In tinkering with the set trigger back and forth I had a few premature firings and as soon as they let go and I saw the POI I realized this thing shoots like a laser...no discernable movement at all after the sear trips...the ball is just out of the barrel and on its way.

Sitting down shooting from a simulated hunting position / no rest to the 30yd target, I would have gotten a lot of those 'squirrels' in that 2" sticker, but odds are not all of them.
So there's more work to do...definitely need to finalize the set trigger adjustment, then discipline myself to take a little more time to ensure the sights are steady on where they need to be...try to tighten up that group another 1/2"

08291140calat30ydssittingHuntingposition.jpg

Jethro224 said:
Decaf. :wink:
:haha:

I hear ya, but the bad news is I can't even use that as an excuse...hadn't had any coffee for a couple hours.

So gosh-darn-it-all...I guess I'll just HAVE to go enjoy, I mean shoot, some more practice sessions

roundball said:
Jethro224 said:
Decaf. :wink:
:haha:

I hear ya, but the bad news is I can't even use that as an excuse...hadn't had any coffee for a couple hours.

So gosh-darn-it-all...I guess I'll just HAVE to go enjoy, I mean shoot, some more practice sessions

....maybe that's the problem NOT ENOUGH coffee!LOL

That dose'nt look all that bad. Some times I'll let my handgun target shooting go for a while, mostly during hunting season and it takes time to catch up but not much. I've found over the years that it's a mind / trigger finger thing. My mind remembers what a perfect site picture looks like and my finger takes the snapshot in spite of any movement while aiming. A couple of 1 hour sessions will get you right back in.

Roundball, doesn't look so bad to me and the rifle is nice too. I hope to set out some squirrel targets next time I go.
Macon

Roundball, do ya ever lean your rifle against a tree when squirrel hunting? :idunno: If I considered it cheating, I wouldn't be able to live with myself! :rotf:

Skychief (Killer of squirrels)...

Skychief said:
do ya ever lean your rifle against a tree when squirrel hunting?
So far, all the practice has just been sitting like leaning against a tree...I do need to try it with a rest against a tree or something, certainly for longer shots...but reality is that today I just didn't get it done...I should have been able to squeeze that down to 1+1/2"

No, I do everything in practice the way I do it out hunting...stand up to clean the bore and reload

Since you have been out to the range to play with your squirrel rifle, the big storm must have gone around you! I don't think that group as all that bad for shooting off your knees.

Just my opinion but the group looks pretty fair to me. Just knowing I was gonna get to practise more with that fine looking flinter would ease the pain of a slightly unsatisfactory group :thumbsup:

Yes, I still can't get over how beautiful this .40cal Late Lancaster is...and to have stumbled across it essentially brand new with the features I would have ordered is a a real stroke of luck.
I'd already decided it wouldn't be a good investment to order a .40cal at this point in my life...then this thing just fell into my lap a few days later...guess I should buy a lottery ticket next...LOL.

Being 100 miles inland from 'Irene's eye, we were getting very high winds and rain from the 'outer bands' like you'd get from very severe thunder-storms. There was a lot of debris blown out of trees and most of this years acorn crop is now down on the ground where I hunt.
But once the storm passed, the sun came out the next day, things got back to normal, and I went to the range.

Back