• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Antique Shooting Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtgeorge

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this on eBay last week. The seller is reputable so I am not questioning its authenticity. It was a very interesting item that is reeking of the "good old days". The round musket balls are 32 cal. ,the patch material is pillow ticking, there is a small piece of leather that is used to cover the flint when it is placed in the hammer. There are also hand shaped striker flints, a blacksmith hand forged screwdriver, and a wood quick load to load two patched balls in. There is also a ball starter that is made from a solid piece of deer antler it has a copper ring so a thong can be attached. The bag is rough leather and is very dirty, stained, and has been well used.
e7_1_b.JPG

very nice i am inspired by the screw driver i think i just might have to make one thanks for the inspiration :master:

Looks a little Questionable. From what I can see nothing LOOKS real OLD. Sorry just does not feal right??????

E.Boyd Leather & Horn

My thinking also. The bag looks like a small storage bag of some kind.I don't know what the "bullet starter" looks like up close but I never saw any deer antler like it except moose antler.Sorry but it looks like a bunch of stuff gathered up and sold together.
Tom Patton :m2c:

I will admit the photo is terrible. The ball starter was carved from what was definitely an old deer antler. It is very smooth and worn from age. The wooden holder for the .32 cal. balls is darked from oxidation and exposure to the air. The screwdriver is definitly hand wrought from iron and has a gray patina typical of careful storage, but no rust. The bag itself is not as old as the items contained therein. The bag was probably some type of storage bag pressed into service. It was stitched together with cotton thread (loose thread burned but did not melt). I showed it to a fellow officer from my precinct who is a French and Indian/Revolutionary War buff and re-enactor. He agrees with my assessment of the items and also pointed out to me that the balls were made from a hand held mold, judging by the remnants from the sprues from the mold. The seller is a gentleman that I have become familiar with over the past two years. He has sold me three original Russel Green River Knives, two scalping knives that he acquired from Indian Reservations, a string of Indian glass trade beads, and a very old hand hammered patch knife. Upon receipt of the scalping knives in particular, I sat down with a Curator with the Garvies Point Museum, which houses an impressive collection of Native American artifacts. He concluded that the knives were fron the mid to later third of the nineteenth century and, get this, one was made from the blade of a U.S. Military cutlass that was cut down. I am not writing about this in order to brag. But the seller is a gentleman from western Kentucky who walks along rural towns going door to door buying antiques from "old timers". He told me that the bag was purchased from a 90 year old man who, only recently, decided he did not need it anymore because he was too old to hunt. Well old and authentic or not, I am happy with it which is really all that matters. I wish there were an easier way to authenticate such pieces as these.

I wish there were an easier way to authenticate such pieces as these.

That's the problem. There is no easy way.

I can't comment on your items, but I will say this...

Many of the members of this Forum could "reproduce" those items today and I doubt that anyone could tell the difference without laboratory testing.

It's amazing what acid and sandpaper can to to things. :winking:

Back