• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Crockett Post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got on the Midway USA Crockett Kit notify list.

As soon the Italians get over Covid, enjoy horizontal refreshments, have the babies, educate the kids, send them to trade school and get them hired on at Traditions, I may have a Crockett rifle in 18 to 20 years.
If you're waiting on the Italians to build you a Crockett it might be longer than 18 to 20 years from now since the gun is made in Spain. However those Spaniards seem to reproduce fairly quickly, look what they did after landing in Central America.

Last edited:
This thread settles it for me. I'm getting one and a new Pietta 1858 Remington revolver and moving to canvas tent in the mountains. Never coming back. Might take a Snickers for emergencies.
I know, right! I've already started growing out my beard and I have no plans on getting a hair cut for a long time.

Still undecided on where I want to settle, however.

So far I’ve tried .310 Hornady balls with 0.15” thick Jo Ann’s pillow ticking with Track of the Wolf mink oil, cut at the muzzle with 20 grains of Old Eynsford 3Fg. 1” group at 25 yards. Gun did not like 15 grains. I’m sure it can do even better with more experimentation!
That's what I have heard from most owners as well. I have a few .310 RB and some 0.15" patches on the way. Got the 3F BP.

Just got on the Midway USA Crockett Kit notify list.

As soon the Italians get over Covid, enjoy horizontal refreshments, have the babies, educate the kids, send them to trade school and get them hired on at Traditions, I may have a Crockett rifle in 18 to 20 years.
I thought Traditions (Ardesa) was made in Spain not Italy?

She's a beauty. Please post up on the hickory RR when its finished and has been put through the test. Interested to know the process you used.
1546763C-56CF-487F-8FEF-3F692553DC43.jpeg

Got the ramrod done! I bought the tipped blank from Track, 5/16” thick. Grain is straight throughout. Trimmed to length with an HVAC tubing cutter and finished with sandpaper to a correct fit in the thimbles and down the bore. Finished with two coats of Minwax mahogany stain and some beeswax.

Doesn’t rattle at all now and just looks/feels so much better!

View attachment 189043

Got the ramrod done! I bought the tipped blank from Track, 5/16” thick. Grain is straight throughout. Trimmed to length with an HVAC tubing cutter and finished with sandpaper to a correct fit in the thimbles and down the bore. Finished with two coats of Minwax mahogany stain and some beeswax.

Doesn’t rattle at all now and just looks/feels so much better!
That's awesome! Good work. Me thinks I might be doing the same thing. That metallic RR has to go. Its so ugly it can make a freight train take a dirt road. And so loud a squirrel can hear it clanging in the next zip code.

Last edited:
So far I’ve tried .310 Hornady balls with 0.15” thick Jo Ann’s pillow ticking with Track of the Wolf mink oil, cut at the muzzle with 20 grains of Old Eynsford 3Fg. 1” group at 25 yards. Gun did not like 15 grains. I’m sure it can do even better with more experimentation!
I'm on the search for some patch lube that some of you Crocket Rifle shooters use. I have on hand some Bore Butter (which I have read is not the greatest lube to use) Mink oil, and Go Jo.

Anyone try any of those?

I use the TOW Mink in all my ML's. Warmer weather, I go light. Colder temps, I soak up the patch but, not saturated.

IMHO the Crockett is traditions' bright star. I had an older one with a wooden ramrod shich I used for a good while. Finally made a nonbreakable rod for the field. Accuracy load was 30 grains of 3F, .015" patch, hand cast ball and Hoppes BP Lube. In a moment of confusion I sold it and sure would like a replacement. I was sorry to let it go but the squirrels started cheering.
PICT0433.jpg

I got to fondle one today. Was shocked to see it on the shelf at a newer local gun store I have not spent a lot of time in. If it sits around and collects dust long enough, I might get it one day. Also checked out a Traditions .50 Prairie Hawken. Kinda cool also. Best find was some 0300 CCI Musket Caps though. Some of those did get a ride home with me.

Ok I have wanted one also.. let's start a club and everyone get a muzzleloader Crockett rifle, we could all chip in to get a lodge and some land to build a range
You guys were in PA you could just come to my house and shoot! Getting a CVA .32 squirrel kit in the mail today, going to convert it to flint though. I will say wish traditions did have a flint option OR just used a removable drum so you could do both that would make sense.. the whole threading into a breech plug or making it one solid piece never made sense to me but oh well. The Crockett was my first muzzleloader and I too made the mistake of selling it but I’ll have another one someday

For those of you, like me who hate/hated the aluminum ramrod that comes with some of the Crockett rifles, A great alternative, besides making a wood one, is to look at the Log Cabin Shop's brass Crockett rifle ramrod. It is a bit heavy but, still shoulders pretty well for me when in the thimbles. All rattle is gone, fit is perfect and, I can add a little "T" handle on one end and it becomes a field/range rod. I love how it looks in the rifle too!

thumbnail_IMG_0903.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0904.jpg

For those of you, like me who hate/hated the aluminum ramrod that comes with some of the Crockett rifles, A great alternative, besides making a wood one, is to look at the Log Cabin Shop's brass Crockett rifle ramrod. It is a bit heavy but, still shoulders pretty well for me when in the thimbles. All rattle is gone, fit is perfect and, I can add a little "T" handle on one end and it becomes a field/range rod. I love how it looks in the rifle too!

View attachment 190155
View attachment 190156
That adds a touch of class. I’m sold! I’ll definitely be ordering one when ever mine decides to arrive.

That adds a touch of class. I’m sold! I’ll definitely be ordering one when ever mine decides to arrive.
If yours comes with that aluminum ramrod, get ready to dislike it! I thought at first I could live with it but, that rattling around ended up driving me nuts! The brass ramrod is 5/16's and eliminates that rattle. Hope your Crockett arrives soon, they really are a neat little rifle.

Sqerlz gonna be hate'n! 😁

Back