• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another E.Va Born at TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave Person said:
Hi TG and other folks,
Thanks for the post but I am not trying to start a debate on TVM's EVA rifle. I have a friend who would like me to build him a Virginia-style gun. I am trying to learn what that means. Some of you have been helpful with that. I saw the TVM rifle and liked the lines and thought I might show it to my friend to see if it appeals to him. However, before doing that, I wanted to understand what about the gun says "early Virginia". He can decide how historically correct he wants me to be but I wanted to point out to him the points that might identify the style as EVA. As Roundball answered, the name is applied more or less for marketing purposes. It is just a nice earlyish style rifle. That may suit my friend or it may not. In the latter case I fall back on my other more historically correct sources.

Thanks again everyone,

dave
other than using English export locks "most" Virginia rifles are as germanic as the PA. built rifles of the same time period. Get yourself a book on antique VA. rifles to do some research, that's where your questions will be answered.
Chambers sells a good early VA. gun, that's the only one I know of , and it's based mainly on the Faber rifle with a little taken froma few other earl VA. rifles.
Jim Klien sells probably the best VA rifle kit out there. It's ca. 1780's and was taken directly from an original VA. rifle.
Brad Emig may be another source, but I am not familiar with his products.
In closing, if you're looking for information on a particular gun style the last place to look is with some of the on line dealers advertisementsm. Buy books on the subject and read them, don't just eat the pages.... :haha:

Number19 said:
"...what about the TVM early Virginia rifle characterizes it as an EVA...It looks completely German in styling without even a faint hint of any English influence. I like the lines of the gun but I am curious about the pedigree and what makes it an EVA rather than just somebody's idea of what an early long rifle might look like."

Matt's EVA closely resembles a rifle known as the Bogle Rifle, which was probably built during the Revolutionary War period, probably the late 1780's. Matt's butt plate doesn't have as much curvature and the side plate is totally different. I think the Bogle rifle may be a little more angular in the butt stock.

You might Goggle and take a look at this rifle.
The Bogle rifle looks nothing like TVM's EVA, even if I squint.(This abbreviated typing stuff is COOL! :haha: ) The bogle rifle is a product of maybe the 1790's but probably post 1800....are the 1790's early?

Mike, since you aren't going to blow your own horn I'll weigh in and say that your slightly modified Klette rifle is pretty nice. I was lucky enough to see the prototype at the CLA a few years ago.

Treerat said:
Mike, since you aren't going to blow your own horn I'll weigh in and say that your slightly modified Klette rifle is pretty nice. I was lucky enough to see the prototype at the CLA a few years ago.
Thank you :bow:
I don't have any problems with TVM's stuff. They are truely custom guns as I've been told all of their stuff is started from blanks and shaped out to custom specs....I don't know how they do it for the money they ask.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for calling my attention to Jim Klein's site. He has a nice rifle he calls a VA gun and it does look similar to several in my library collection of references. I have a pretty good reference collection that includes VA guns (including a gun by Bogle) but unfortunately, only a few appeal to me. The TVM rifle does not look like any of my photos but I like the looks of it. I thought maybe I am missing some school or examples of Virginia guns that the TVM gun represents. I think I have my answer.

dave

The Bogle rifle is clearly not "Golden Age". If not Golden Age and not Early, what other classifications do you use?

Number19 said:
The Bogle rifle is clearly not "Golden Age". If not Golden Age and not Early, what other classifications do you use?
It's a 1800ish TN Mountain rifle, which is fairly early as far as TN. Mountain rifles go.

I am not refereing to just one supplier many fill the description and I am glad to see someone else say what Ihave said so often before

" if you're looking for information on a particular gun style the last place to look is with some of the on line dealers advertisementsm."

a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous/decieptful thing

My own "Early Virginia" is patterned after a style from the far western side of Virginia. Woodbury,Kentucky to be exact. :grin: If anyone asks I say its my idea of a southern rifle but to most of the people I know its one of those old timey Daniel Boone guns. Guess what I'm saying is I don't try to mislead the unknowledgeable but they don't care anyway.

Cool what is the time period of the builders of this area making guns such as yours? and what is considered early for such guns?

tg said:
Cool what is the time period of the builders of this area making guns such as yours? and what is considered early for such guns?
An early Woodbury gun would be in the mid to late 60's....1960's that is. :grin: H. House is the founder of the school. :thumbsup:

By the late 70's Hershel tended to build one of two styles of rifle which he called early Va and the other South West Va. Those seem to be just labels for his own style as I cannot find any originals that fit those molds but I really like his work. Looks like a lot of other people do too. :thumbsup:

Back