• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Englishman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi

I've recognised a few names on here already, but for the vast majority who don't know me I've been collecting old guns for a few years, have about 30 or 40 and the older the better. Now I'm of a mind to make replica's of a few "must haves" that I can't buy and thought I'd start with a cannon.

A forum which talks about matchlocks? I can see I'm going to fit right in here ::

Thanks for reading my intro and thanks for sharing your knowlege.

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

PS: Who's the boss man around here? Don't want to tread on any toes and get ejected before I deserve it ::

Welcome to the camp Robin. Always nice to see a friendly face, even if it is from across the big Pond. As for the boss man, not sure we really one. We have a real nice fella that runs the board, name of Claude. Then we have Zonie, who thinks at times that he be the boss man. :: But that is just from all the sun flashing off the googaws on his guns. It has fried his brain somewhat. But he means well. And he's harmless, as far as anyone can tell. :haha: :haha: Take care.

Robin:

Hiya!

A forum which talks about matchlocks? I can see I'm going to fit right in here ::

Handgonnes, Matchlocks, Wheellocks, Snaphaunces, etc. Any lock type that was in use before the invention of the Flintlock is ok at the Pre-Flintlock Forum. ::

Are you a Matchlock shooter? If not, I am guessing that are they on your must buy list? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi

and thanks for the welcome, you never know how you will be received when you suddenly appear from nowhere on to an established group.

I was momentarily a matchlock shooter, I bought a relic, made a new lock, hammered the piece of metal that had blown out of the touch hole back into place, took it to a clay shoot and got 2 shots off before it came out again. Have to think about that one :boohoo:

I also started whittling out a replica of the Mary Rose pattern musket but it's tempoararily on a back burner awaiting inspiration. I have a lot of things on back burners ::

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

PS: Who's the boss man around here? Don't want to tread on any toes and get ejected before I deserve it

Claude Mathis is the bull goose looney. Musketman, Zonie, Squirelsaurus Rex and I are the moderators, but we're moderately inactive. You really have to go out of your way to draw our wrath. Give unsafe advise to a question (especially if the person asking seems to be inexperienced and may not realize the problem), use profanity, cast aspersions on a person's ignition system of choice on that system's sub-site, make a personal attack on another member or dare to correct or question the administration (just kidding on the last one - mostly. ::)

Welcome Robin G Hewitt, about how far are you from the flint mines of Dover?

Hmmmmmmmm, let's see, a 90.7 kilogram chunck of musket grade English flint mailed to Ohio will cost you how much? :haha:

Just joking and glad to have you here, feel free to ask us for help on any topic, we (forum members) will do our best to answer your questions...

Welcome to the camp! Pull up a stump close to the fire and share your knowledge.

That's mighty neighbourly of you. (You can probably tell I watched a lot of westerns back in the '50's) ::

And to answer Musketman's question, I'm just along the coast from Dover in another of the Cinque Ports, the town of Seaford. We have 2 kinds of rocks around here, chalk and flint although you can find some pyrites on the beach. Unfortunately the pyrites is crumbly and all my efforts at knapping flint (ie: beat the snot out of it with a hammer and then search through the debris for anything gun shaped) have proved futile.

Claude Mathis is the bull goose looney. Musketman, Zonie, Squirelsaurus Rex and I are the moderators, but we're moderately inactive.

Ooops! I just got moderated by Squirelsaurus Rex, so I guess that's just four more to go until I have the complete set ::

Salutations from California Robin!

When you visit the "colonies" be sure you bring some "rocks" with you for us. I've stocked up on Tom Fuller flints just in case you Brits come back trying to reassert the authority of the crown. However, if you burn Washington again, please spare the Smithsonian & National Archives and Ford's Theatre. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gary

Hi Robin, welcome to the best BB for MLs. There are quite a few of us MLML people on here! For you guys who don't know Robin let me assure you he's a very knowledgeable fellow when it come to all types of front stuffers. ::

Chuck Goodall
The Original Huntin' Fool
&
Kanawha Ranger Scribe

Greetings from the group! Sorry it's taken me a few days, time is kinda tight with me sometimes and I don't get to the 'Welcome' forum as often as I should. No problem regarding the moderating thing. I just gotta make sure no one gets offended by anything (political correctness is sometimes a necessary evil). We're all here for fun and learning, so pull up a stump and throw in your two bits. ::

By the way, Liver eatin' Johnson is the new moderator of the 'Photo' forum.

Squirrelsaurus Rex, it is always a pleasure to get moderated, at least I know someone is reading my humble offerings. I did a year as moderator on MLML so I quite understand, you must edit me any time you feel like it.

Chuck, nice to see a familiar keyboard, it's almost like coming home ::

Back