• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

another goofball on youtube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never underestimate the destructive power of self appointed experts ... what is the greater fool, the fool who leads or the fool who follows? when they're gathered at your door, it makes little difference that i can see.

It ends with one of the kids getting vent flashings in his ear. After the kid mentions it the demonstrator says, "Well, that could be anything." :shake:

What is really good is the fact that he's priming the pan before he pours the main charge down the barrel. Even though he blowing down the barrel, there's still off chance he could blow the ramrod through his hands or seriously hurt/kill one of the people he was "teaching"!! What in idiot :shocked2: :youcrazy:

I particularly liked the broken glass and nailed bullets loaded by colonials and correct me if I'm wrong but neither the bozo with the Bess nor the somewhat better shooter with the Enfield made any mention of the danger of using smokeless powder in black powder guns. :idunno: :bull:
Tom Patton

Crackshot123 said:
What is really good is the fact that he's priming the pan before he pours the main charge down the barrel. :youcrazy:

that was the part that disturbed me most

George

i asked a fellow who has extensive study in this, and he assures me that the pan was primed before the charge was poured from the torn- off paper cartridge.

I agree that this is not the safest way, and it's certainly not how i do it, but it HC/PC.

as regards the 'putting nails in the musket ball' i think that's complete hokum: nails were so expensive that several towns had ordinances requiring and that the ashes of burned buildings be combed and that nails be recovered and restraightened for reuse. i can't believe that they would be put into a musket ball, and besides, given the choice, i'm sure that Private Colonial would much rather spend his time playing dice with his buddies or telling tales than taking apart paper cartridges, putting nails through the ball, and then reassembling the ctg.

same with glass ... this was also very expensive, and i can't see the troops wandering about picking up bits of glass to shoot at the British ... just doesn't pass the straight face test...

one guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth the price.

So I take it that this King Size Dupa is actually some kind of expert at some tourist site, paid to tell all the visitors just how it was back then?

Where did all the nails the American used in their "bullets" come from?

Oh yeah. In modern movies I have to shake my head when the bad guy puts the "X" on the bullet to make it a dangerous "dum-dum". So the Americans did that on their "bullets" when they fought the British so it would fragment inside and really mess 'em up?

Didn't you just love the sense of authority this expert brought to his demonstration? He really knows his stuff, boy oh boy.

yes that was the manual of arms for the bess. tear open the cartage prime pan load gun and fire. remember when you are going for speed. some safety rules get bent. i am not saying it should be done now.

The manual states to prime, load, fire as for the safety that is why we use frizzen stalls of which he didn't have one nor did he have a flash guard. when ordered to Open Pan the hammer is automaticly set at 1/2 cock we place the stall on the frizzen and then open pan and continue loading. But this guy is something else. Does he get paid for this? If so the park service needs to get the money back.

This fellow demos a mix of civilian and military practice with a strong portion of "heifer dust".

Military practice with the Bess and Charleville was to load with paper cartridges. Abridged a bit, you first half cocked the lock, then bit off the end of the cartridge to pour a bit of powder in the pan, and closed the frizzen. Next you dumped the rest of the charge down the barrel, thumb started paper and ball, drew ramrod, seated ball and wadding, and stowed rod. Cock, present and fire. Repeat as ordered. The formal manual of arms is considerably more detailed, movement by movement, so that a line of troops could load and fire on command without interfering with each other.

The main point of such tactics was to open a hole in the opposing line, after which it was back to pikes (bayonets) and tactics well understood by Alexander of Macedon.

Paper cartridges and loading drill continued until after The War of Northern Aggression.

White Fox

There were complaints by both sides that the enemy were doing things like putting nails into balls. Some have even been found. But it was a rare practice, only good for the first shot. You can't make cartridges with a nail in them!
Buck and Ball would have been more common, and more useful. A 69 calibar ball passing through you does enough damage, a nail just makes it harder to load and also hit a target.

to join the british military you must hve 2 teeth top and bottom opposing to tear the paper cartridge
open. when standing on the firing line,priming for
the second shot,flashing off was way less dangerous than getting shot standing 30 steps from some guys intent on taking you out before you got to them. after battles there were guns recovered with as many as 7 rounds loaded and not discharged in the barrel as the soldier didn't realize he was not shooting in the confusion of the moment.

But yes this goof is a danger to himself and all around him. lose the jeans to start

I had to turn it off after the third time I saw the barrel pointed at his head.

Powder, patch, ball, prime.

I guess some cavemen, still dont get it after how many centuries

One little thing that got me, did he remove the musket from his shoulder within miliseconds of firing? A true shooter would have held his follow through. Or am I mistaken?

Johnny Tremain said:
I had to turn it off after the third time I saw the barrel pointed at his head.

Powder, patch, ball, prime.

I guess some cavemen, still dont get it after how many centuries

That is not historicaly accurate. When is a historical lie OK because of safety?

Foster From Flint

Priming the pan first was necessary because once you dumped the powder down the barrel you could not go back and prime. That was the historical reason. Safety today might dictate a different practice, but back then safety was less concern than getting the round off. I wonder how many of those found with several balls in the barrel ended up that way because they didn't prime first? :idunno:

I saw that video and never saw anything so full of inaccuracies. Who ever hired him as a guide or demonstrator ought to be fired along with him. A quote I heard about facebook applies to youtube as well, might have even seen here on this forum. "If Facebook/Youtube were an oarchard it would be growing idiots".

Don

Back