• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another interesting GPR issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redriverclerk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
When I purchased my GPR in August, I thought I was purchasing a barrel with the 1:60 twist. When I purchased a specific cleaning jig, I discovered that my GPR has a 1:48 twist. Anyone else run into this issue?

My GPR has 1 in 48 twist. Mine is over 25 years old. I called Lyman and they checked by serial number, confirming mine was 1 in 48. I just purchased a new GPR flint kit. I sure hope it has a 1 in 60 twist. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting, I was under the assumption that the GPR was 60 and the GPHunter was 48....

I guess that confirms what happens when you ass u me something.

I have a new one, bought last week in .45. It has a 1 in 60'' twist. Ordered a change barrel in .50 with 1 in 30'' for conicals.

The Great Plains Rifle is 1 in 60" twist and the Great Plains Hunter is 1 in 32" twist. This straight from the users guide I got with my GPR.
Scott

Where in the world did you find a .45 GPR ???
I tried to find a .45 barrel and was told that they only build with .50 and .54, I'd sure like a .45 for target and rondy shooting.

Halfstock

Halfstock,
I recently bought a GPR .54 flint kit. On the end of the box, where they check what is inside, they list .45 cal. perc., .50 cal. perc., .50 cal. flint, .54 cal. perc. and .54 cal. flint. The product number for the .45 is 6031110. This may be only available in Europe. Like everyone else, I've only heard of .50 and .54. I guess they do make them :hmm: .

I went through this with Kirrmeister from Germany here on the boards. They do sell 45's in Europe. Wish the heck they'd do the same here, or at least import the barrels. I'd be on them like stink.

The Hunter was supposed to be the 48 twist and the GPR was supposed to be 60. That's what surprised the heck outta me. Dont' know if I should contact Lyman or not. The twist doesn't really bother me, as long as I can be accurate with it.

All recent manufacture GPR's have a 1:60 twist and the GPH has always been 1:32 based on the information I have found. I have both the 54 GPR and 50 GPH barrels for mine. Earlier versions may indeed have a 1:48 for the GPR but I've not seen one. I too would like to have a 45 barrel to complete my set. I guess I need to start saving some money toward that just in case I come across one.

Whew! I bought one used a while back and just assumed it was 1/60". I have not made it to the range with this one yet. I just measured and it is 1/60", but this post had me worried!

Hey thanks cowpoke I do appreciate the info, I may have to try and contact them fellars, would sure like one in flint and percusion.
Halfstock

I have a 1 x 32 for my GPR flinter. I think it is for sabots - I have never used it. Anybody want it for $120?

I have a GP Hunter 50 cal it has 1-32 twist very accurate with 385 grn. hornaday gp bulltes ,I have shot 4" gruops at 150yds sitting on butt resting elbow on knees.

I find it very funny. You guys from the US have problems to get a .45 barrel, we european guys want to have bigger calibers like .50 or .54 and have problems to get them. But I think it is for you also possible to get the .45 as it was for me to get the bigger one. We have a very good trader here in GE near Saarbrücken, which is able to get nearly everything the BP shoóters want to have. For my part if there is something realy not in store at all I order it in the US. Log Cabin Shop is my favorit shop. For example in GE you don't get any hunting equipment or bullet boards.

Looks like they would try to supply the same all the way around, but they don't. If anyone has an outlet for the .45 for a GPR I'd sure appreciate knowing who it is.
Yall have a good season and watch out fer ole bug's boys.

Halfstock

Latest posts

Back